Reasonably priced Halibut rod and reel

Striper Sniper

I am wanting to rig up a couple of halibut rod and reels and need advice. I bought a couple of Shimano Technium 10.6 rods and Islander MR2 AR reels for Salmon fishing from Tyee Marine but I doubt I could come home ever again if I spent this kind of $$$ on the halibut gear:) A lot of the guys seem to like the 50 to 80 lb. Tuff line so that seems relatively straight forward. What is the best set up I can get for around $200 to $250 in a rod reel combo. The majority of my hali fishing will be in the Nootka or Bamfield/Uclulet areas.
Seawolf 1

I myself like the Penn Senator 6/0 or 9/0 reels, the 6/0 is probably the best bet. For a Hali rod, get a Shimano Talora. Rod should be about $80, reel should be $150. The reels you are better off to get at West Marine, the rods get at any independet outfitter. I have had quotes as high as $300 on the reels from our local guys in Victoria, but up island see what RVP can do for you? The Senator is not a level wind, but then again, it won't crap out every season on you to the tune of $60.

Hi LC, the information that I have been receiving is that the newer Penn reels are now made in Japan and that they are not as reliable as the older ones that were made in the USA. Have you heard anything in this regards, Thanks, Seawolf 1

LC, I have been browsing the Internet for a 6' Shimano Talora and I wonder if they still make them. They seem to start at 8' and go to 12'... From what I have learned from this site todate is that the rod should be approximately the length of a persons height. How long are the Talora rods that you are using? Seawolf 1

Thanks LC, let me know and I will pick up a couple next week. Seawolf 1

LC, I went to Tyee Marine / Parker Sports in Comox this afternoon and the only rod that came close was the Trevala model. They could not find anything in a Talora..... that was 6', can you check on that for me. Seawolf 1

I prefer the 7 ft rods just so my gear is that much further from each other so a 8'6" beam boat and add another 7 ft on each side gives another 2 ft more so gear doesnt tangle up

Wolf

Penn has moved all of it's manufacturing to China</u>, except for some high end gold stuff.

Your best deal is a Shimano TLD 20 the price is down because they moved their manufacturing for the TLDs to Malaysia.The best price I could find was West Marine, 2000 Island Highway North, Ste 120
Nanaimo, BC V9S 5W3 Phone: 250-758-8048

That being said it's not as if the Penn is suddenly a total POS-there's not much to those old Senators anyway.

Just avoid the Okumas, they are said to be making steady improvements but from my POV they are still a POS.

Also don't cheap out and but one of those black Ugly Sticks that are so popular they are too parabolic an action too slow altogether you want one with a soft tip and a stiff back.

Hi LC and Dogbreath (great handle) the Shimano Trevela was a real nice rod... so now that I have decided on that rod and Tuff line 50 or 80 lbs.... where do I go... you guys are obvious hands on guys....... which one is are the reels going to be.... Seawolf 1

Have you tried looking for reels on ebay? Even with the exchange,shipping and taxes you can get some great deals. Also you can find older made in USA Penn reels cheap. The used reels are in great shape.:)

Fishmeister, I can get a great deal from a friend that I have in Connecticut but the real problem,is, which reels.... Seawolf 1

I've had a Shimano TLD 25 for the past 10 years. I would highly recommend it. If you shop around, you can pick one up for just over $200 (new). You wouldn't want to lose your barn door on a cheap reel that seizes up on you half way to the surface. If you've already bought a couple of MR2's, these will be relatively cheap!

(Chanting) Senator 6/0 - Last reel you will buy... Not a lot of parts to screw up, and almost the same price as the wear-prone 330GT. You can also put the big long handles on 'em to give youself the leverage you need for all those trophy fish. PLUS, if you don't put backing on, you can REALLY load up the Tuff Line. Let's just say I do not think I'll get spooled, and if I loose a lot of line on a charter, my reel is still in service.

Hi SeaWolf, nothing in my email, SIR had the same problem so I don't know if I screwed up when I set up the account.... Try me at:
mpiquette@shaw.ca Seawolf 1

Back