Radar tower or hard top.

TheHurtLocker

I was wondering if anyone knows of a shop that could make a radar tower or hardtop. I'm trying to price out for my boat, and just want to talk to someone about costs and options. Around the mid island would help. Thanks guys.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a shop that could make a radar tower or hardtop. I'm trying to price out for my boat, and just want to talk to someone about costs and options. Around the mid island would help. Thanks guys.

I am wanting to do put a hardtop on my w/a also. I was looking at Atlantic towers for an arch, they have an arch for pretty much every boat, then install it myself, but after taking a good look at my canvas I now want a hardtop. I am hoping to find a ready made glass top then bend up the stainless and machine the flanges and get a buddy to glue 'er together for me. Granted I am pretty much positive this isn't going to be a this winter project. I have been keeping pictures of styles I like. This is the same boat as mine image.jpg

This top was done by class a in Campbell river. It's a bit too busy for me, I would like something simpler but a nice job. Their website has lots of pics. If anyone out there has gone his route or has any knowledge of an off the shelf fibreglass top please post it up :)

I am wanting to do put a hardtop on my w/a also. I was looking at Atlantic towers for an arch, they have an arch for pretty much every boat, then install it myself, but after taking a good look at my canvas I now want a hardtop. I am hoping to find a ready made glass top then bend up the stainless and machine the flanges and get a buddy to glue 'er together for me. Granted I am pretty much positive this isn't going to be a this winter project. I have been keeping pictures of styles I like. This is the same boat as mine View attachment 9867

This top was done by class a in Campbell river. It's a bit too busy for me, I would like something simpler but a nice job. Their website has lots of pics. If anyone out there has gone his route or has any knowledge of an off the shelf fibreglass top please post it up :)

Any boat manufacture that builds boats with hard tops and windows will sell you one but they crazy expensive. My bro has a trophy pro 2152 and wanted the same thing was close to 6-8k if I Remeber correctly so he skipped it. Never looked or searched for a privite builder but we came across a hard top that was a warrenty repair from a dealer and he bought it in the hopes of building a frame and what not but in the end he already bought a arch for the boat and decided he wanted a bigger boat and wouldn't bother putting a hardtop but just buy the boat he actually wanted in the future. So he now has a hardtop that's perfectly good sitting in his garage. I'm not 100% sure if he wants to sell it yet but it would be perfect for one of you guys who wanted to do this. If you guys are interested pm me and ill send you his info as I have no clue what work needed to be done to the top actually I can't Remeber but it wasnt much. I also can't Remember what boat it came off

Cheers

They only have the new one left for sale as I bought the used one last week.
I am doing the exact same thing to my 24' Rinker right now, removed the soft top and installing a hard top. I had to shorten the hard top I purchased by 14"(cut thru the center) and am just starting to attach it back together. I have decided to go with aluminum instead of stainless( cost and weight are both factors). If going with aluminum you need to use 6063 for ease of bending, weld it with 5356 wire if you want to have it anodized ,which I will be doing. I will try posting pics when done of the before/during/after. Good luck!

Guys look at Atlantic Towers they do sweet work I have passed along a few guys there thisnis where my bro bought his arch from. I don't know the cost of doing it yourself but they have one that just bolts into place for any boat up to 25 ft. Go to tower in a box then tee walkaround hardtop.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd seriously look at HT over arch. It will cost more but I'd never go back to canvas top myself here in BC.

I really like that top pictured on the Wellcraft that GnB posted - not too busy for me at all....looks skookum! Looks similar to a wmw.
http://www.wmwmarine.com/
WMW is" in bed" with Grady White.....literally ....as last I heard their CEO was married to the Grady White CEO lol ! Pretty obvious who builds Grady's tops !
They offer to build a top designed to fit a particular model ( not just Grady) and then ship it to you and you put it together on your boat yourself (or hire someone to do that) Adding a top is more expensive than getting a top already included on your used purchase but it does add a brand new look to your boat.
Atlantic towers makes HT's too and while I like them, I'd have to say I like the WMW Marine product a little better IMO.

I can tell you a hard top will be way more money than an arch but comparing the 2 isn't really comparing apples to apples.
The amount of work that goes into a hard top is 10 fold what the arch is but worth every penny IMO
Back in 2010 when I needed a new Bimini I decided to do a hardtop for my Searay, problem was they never offered one for my model and because my boat is not a conventional WA the top needed to be wider than most 24-25' made.
I looked at modifying a few I found but once I added the costs all up it was cheaper to start from scratch.
250 hrs later I had..
Built a mold
Laid up the gelcoat and glass
Bent, welded and powder coated the aluminium
Wired up the electrical
Bought a sewing machine, learned to sew, bought the materials and made the drop curtains.

Final tally for the materials including a used bigass industrial sewing machine $2800, pretty good when you consider I got a quote of $2500 just to replace the Bimini.
Not really a job for everyone, and you definitely will need an old lady with a sense of humour ( mines pretty numb to it all after all these years LOL) to put up with the project for that duration but very doable.

Attachments

• IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 473
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 474
That turned out sweet Sr SQ!!!

We did one for a buddies boat this summer. He opted out of the fiberglass top and we made it out of 3/16" aluminum with the edges turned down to give it a lip. He had the legs off another hard top already and we just modified them to suit his older Offshore 24.

The top is removable from the frame and he had it powder coated black. He had custom drop curtains made up and she looks pretty slick now. I don't know what the weight difference is compared to a glass top but it is a hell of a lot less work doing it out of aluminum.

This was a trade for the new to me trailer up at my lot so I don't know the exact cost of the work. If the OP wants a budget number he can PM me and I can try to help him out. We only do a few projects like this a year as it is not our primary business. We mostly do them for buddies or if we are slow. We are going to do just a top for albernifisher soon. He will paint it with a high performance coating system.

Cheers,
Sculpin

250 hrs later I had..
Built a mold
Laid up the gelcoat and glass
Bent, welded and powder coated the aluminium
Wired up the electrical
Bought a sewing machine, learned to sew, bought the materials and made the drop curtains.

Final tally for the materials including a used bigass industrial sewing machine $2800, pretty good when you consider I got a quote of $2500 just to replace the Bimini.
Not really a job for everyone, and you definitely will need an old lady with a sense of humour ( mines pretty numb to it all after all these years LOL) to put up with the project for that duration but very doable.

AWESOME SrSQ ! Really like it! The project is not for everyone for sure, including myself, even if I had the talent, patience and time! I say you'd have to really enjoy doing it and the satisfaction of completing that yourself otherwise it is 250 hrs of your time (at whatever you think your time is worth to you) Very impressive though......will you make me one some day? ;-)

Thx guys

Peahead,
I do enjoy building stuff........once, than its onto the next project lol
I dont put a price on my time as I am always muckin on something, its like a hobby, I enjoy it.
One of the important things I learned about fibreglassing is to build a really good mold and sadly I didnt so it got destroyed pulling the top.
Not something I will likely build again, sorry bud.
However if your going to build one I can offer some tips and places for materials.

Guys look at Atlantic Towers they do sweet work I have passed along a few guys there thisnis where my bro bought his arch from. I don't know the cost of doing it yourself but they have one that just bolts into place for any boat up to 25 ft. Go to tower in a box then tee walkaround hardtop.

Cheers

Wow, after looking at Sculpins , should have maybe ............. o well whats done is done !
Mines on its way for a 21' Striper , cost 1249 US$ , might get it sometime in January. Maybe you and your brother might want to come over and help me install it PROPERLY ! (ya I bet eh lol)
Will be posting when I install

Here is the link http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_fishing_arch.php

Back