Question about boats

IslandJet

I read in here a discussion about good (favourite) boats and of course Grady Whites, Arimas, Robolos and top ends rigs like that were discussed (can't find the thread now). But I also recall someone chiming in and saying that as long as Bayliners and Campions weren't on the list, it is a good list. I'm still looking for a reasonable low budget boat and..... can I assume that a Trophy or Explorer are ones that I should avoid? I plan to fish the Nanaimo area and the Alberni channel as far as barkley Sound and don't plan on going very far offshore.
Any advice, as always, is very much appreciated

I own a campion... I'd like to know what's wrong with campion??? You see tonnes on the water! When I was looking I looked at some 20-30 year old whalers in terrible shape that the guys were asking more than twice what I paid for mine. Oh "but is a whaler" If my hull or something crapped out on me and I HAD to replace the hull I'm still ahead of the game. If it doesn't then I'll keep the 10k in my pocket and be fine with owning a campion.

I suggest that if you are looking for a "reasonable low budget boat" you shouldn't get hung up on a "top tier" brand....
If you posted your budget and requirements I'm sure you will get lots of advice and suggestions

What Kristo said.

In saying that......I have a thing for Pursuit's but there are TONS of Trophy's and Campions you see out on the water. The bigger question would be what you're looking for in a boat....center console? how many feet? cuddy? etc etc.

Your budget is going to dictate what you can get....and that's going to be your big determining factor. I would say look at your budget and best that you can with your budget.

Some will disagree but if you're in no rush.....keep an eye out in the US on the many, many sites down there as you can pick up some great deals. Be aware of scams....and definitely if you can't go to see the boat on your own, get it surveyed.

In the accent of Master Poh......." ah yes grasshopper, you must listen to the Pip, for his words are wise".

10-4 what pip said. I looked for months and went to wash to buy mine.... saved 25% easy and it's not a hassle bringin it back either.

FYI... I own one of those Whalers! If and when I finally decide to get another boat - I will seriously be looking at a Trophy, as I like the hull design. The newer Trophy's are currently being built to go after the Grady White marketshare; and, use the same engines, components, including cables etc, as those "top of the line" Boston Whaler, SeaRay, Meridian, and every other boat built by Brunswick! :)

I suggest that if you are looking for a "reasonable low budget boat" you shouldn't get hung up on a "top tier" brand....
If you posted your budget and requirements I'm sure you will get lots of advice and suggestions

Hi Kristo
I wasn't looking at these as they are way above my budget....just commenting on what I read here. I was thinking more of Trophy"s ranging from 20' to 24' and I see them in the states for anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000. But I understood from a post I read in here that Bayliners were not really a good boat.

Trophy when it was being built by Bayliner suffered in reputation (and for some justifiable reasons such as gelcoat quality, component quality and hull thickness... or rather thinness). When they were sold to Brunswick, Brusnwick re-established the brand and struck a new course for quality control and edged up the quality. Newer Trophys (<10 years old) have a better reputation. Its interesting what Charlie has posted. I was not aware they were going after that market Charlie.

I'd rather buy a well looked after Trophy than a neglected Grady anytime. Only if in comparable condition I would make the brand an issue.

BTW I own a smaller Campion that is 32 years old and still presentable. All depends.

Don't get too wrapped up in the name brand. Instead, look for a well looked after re-powered platform, updated electronics and a large fish box.

I'd rather buy a well looked after Trophy than a neglected Grady anytime. Only if in comparable condition I would make the brand an issue.

BTW I own a smaller Campion that is 32 years old and still presentable. All depends.

I have a trophy 23 and it is a easy care boat , good on fuel and a great layout. The thickness of the hull means two things , how much power you need to plane and fuel consumption. A grady is fully 3 times the weight of a trophy, so you can imagine the extra horsepower cost and fuel. I have tagged many a log on the way home and nothing has gone through the hull yet! Trophys are great MOTR boats. Cheap and cheerful!

beemer

I have a trophy 23 and it is a easy care boat , good on fuel and a great layout. The thickness of the hull means two things , how much power you need to plane and fuel consumption. A grady is fully 3 times the weight of a trophy, so you can imagine the extra horsepower cost and fuel. I have tagged many a log on the way home and nothing has gone through the hull yet! Trophys are great MOTR boats. Cheap and cheerful!

beemer

Thanks beemer, that's nice to hear.
Charlie points out that Trophys made by Brunswick are following the Grady White model, so does that mean Trophys made from 2001 and later are much heavier than the earlier models and require extra horsepower.
Also, is there a way to tell, other than age of boat, if it was made by Brunswick ie; a marking or some characteristic that the Bayliner models didn't have.
Thanks again for the helpful info

According to their website, Bayliner is owned by Brunswick too - since 1986.

Thanks beemer, that's nice to hear.
Charlie points out that Trophys made by Brunswick are following the Grady White model, so does that mean Trophys made from 2001 and later are much heavier than the earlier models and require extra horsepower.
Also, is there a way to tell, other than age of boat, if it was made by Brunswick ie; a marking or some characteristic that the Bayliner models didn't have.
Thanks again for the helpful info

No... no! Brunswick is NOT following the Grady White model with Trophy. They don't need to, Trophy has a good built and designed hull itself! Brunswick is using Trophy to go after Grady White "smaller boat" market share! They have Boston Whaler to go after larger (offshore) market share. Actually, pretty good marketing on Brunswick's part! :)

IMHO– if you are looking at buying a used Trophy, I personally would NOT buy one built prior to 1995 and would probably recommend sticking to one built in the 2000 (2001 model year) or newer! Here is a little Trophy and Bayliner history.

Trophy has always been part of the Bayliner lineup. Starting with just putting a rod holder on their boats and calling them “Trophy Series.” If an early 80’s Bayliner has a rod holder from the factory, you will probably find a Trophy nameplate on it. I would NOT recommend purchasing one of those!

In the 80’s Bayliner added the Trophy model to their lineup - Be careful there also. One sure way of telling, is it originally came with a Force engine. During that time,it was all about profit, the cheapest components used, and quality control was lousy!

When Bayliner first started, they were actually known as inexpensive“good” boat. In the early 80’s their quality control went to **** and they obtained the reputation of “poorly made cheap boats” and gained the “whatever it takes to get on the water” reputation. Not arguing with either there, as some of those boats – were pretty BAD! They started losing market share and their boats were literally falling apart; including hull problems. As a result, Bayliner put into effect an all out quality control program, which was prior to Brunswick buying them. Brunswick really didn't do Bayliner any favors in their early years, right after purchasing them. At least, not until market share started to drop!

Brunswick bought Bayliner in 1986 and the Trophy model was part of that Bayliner Marine Corp lineup. Brunswick really didn't do much during that timeframe and you still need to be thinking cheap components and problems. Things started changing in the mid 90’s and that is when Brunswick realized the potential of the Trophy brand name (along with the Meridian Yacht name). In 2001 Brunswick introduced the “Trophy” to their "new" lineup of manufacturers, which is also when they started using Trophy to go after the Grady White smaller boat market share. ALL Brunswick manufacturers are required to use Brunswick owned components and in model year 2001 Trophy started benefiting by using basically the same components as Boston Whaler. While those running components (IMO the most important thing) are the same, you will still see differences especially in trim (e.g. bow rails).

All in all, Brunswick did nothing more than break the name association between Bayliner, Trophy, and Meridian. Done so to get away from that Bayliner stigma! In other words, the boats are still being manufactured in the same plants, using the same procedures, by the same people – just a name change - with higher quality control! With the added benefit of Trophy getting the to use more top of the line components - owned by Brunswick!

FYI…depending on your engines and different options (e.g. hardtop), I don’t believe you will find much difference in the overall weight between a 23 foot Trophy and Grady? The Grady will weigh more, it has to as it will have a wider beam and higher gunnels! J

Last edited by a moderator:
Great . Thanks guys. Very informative indeed and very much appreciated. I'm thinking I will look for a 2001 or later model and as the season comes to an end, I'm sure some good deals will start to show up.
Thanks again
Sorry I misquoted you Charlie, I guess I read through it too quickly

If you are going offshore WCVI or elsewhere where you are going to encounter some rough water and weather on a regular basis then you need a hull that will handle it.

Most of my guide friends wouldn't be caught dead out there in a Bayliner.....they say they are too flimsy and the hull design is not optimal for big water.

Flimsy as in:- You are pounding the living bejeezus out of your hull through huge waves and chop for miles.

I would not take an Arima out off the coast too far.....unless the water was glasscalm....which it usually isn't.

If you are going offshore WCVI or elsewhere where you are going to encounter some rough water and weather on a regular basis then you need a hull that will handle it.

Most of my guide friends wouldn't be caught dead out there in a Bayliner.....they say they are too flimsy and the hull design is not optimal for big water.

Flimsy as in:- You are pounding the living bejeezus out of your hull through huge waves and chop for miles.

I would not take an Arima out off the coast too far.....unless the water was glasscalm....which it usually isn't.

Hi
I don't plan on going offshore just looking for a boat that will comfortably fish ECVI and inshore WCVI and depending on the boat I end up with, I may venture out a few miles offshore on WCVI but only in ideal weather conditions and no reported threats. I've learned quite a bit by lurking around here and I'm very aware of the possible dangers and the kind of equipment you must have onboard to even venture out a few miles.

Back