Quesnel Lake

jim morrow

I was up at Elysia Resort the 2nd week of July, 9th to 13th, 4 nights in the cabin, drove home on Friday. Lake level was a bit lower, seemed fine to me. Creeks were still flowing a decent level. I hit the north arm the first day, went west the 2nd day and went east the third day. I had 4 rainbows on ( using bucktails) when up the north arm, hit Lakers and rainbows ( using downriggers)that were feeding on Kokanee when fishing west of the resort, and hit rainbows in the morning on bucktail and spinner, Dolly/Bull trout and a Laker in the early afternoon, using downriggers, when fishing east of the resort.
The water temps were warmer than same time last year, started the week around 65 and got up as high as 77 by the end!!! Swimmers loved it. The weather was so hot that I didn't fish tuesday afternoon, and a west wind came up a bit on thursday.
I have been having best success on big spoons off the downrigger, or bucktails using the 9' fly rods, 9 weight fiberglass. Coyote 5.0 live image green is terrific for both lakers and big rainbows. Wonder 5.5 or 6 are very good. A homemade copy of a coyote 6.0 painted swiftsure colors ( black, green, pink, glow white) was very good catching both species. An apex 4.5 also contributed a laker. I tried to keep the troll speed up around 2.9 to 3.0 mph and found the lakers, up to 5 lbs were still glad to hit these spoons, apex. I got one rainbow well over the 50 cm size limit.
saw lots of kokanee schools along the shore, 25 to 30 feet usually, but the feeding fish that I stumbled upon were out in deep 250-300 feet of water. go figure.

Back