Quatsino Sound/ Port Alice ?

SeaWolf

I'm looking for an alternative access to Quatsino Sound and I see that Port Alice has a boat launch. Can anyone give me a little info on the road to Port Alice, Launch Ramp Conditions (is there a dock to tie to while launching?), and parking availability? Thanks in advance.

The road is paved.The town operates a very nice ramp and marina.They like to see boaters so parking is no problem.

The road is paved.The town operates a very nice ramp and marina.They like to see boaters so parking is no problem.

The road is not much different than the road to Winter harbour. Paved but swervy. The ramp is wide and in good shape. There is a portopotty, water to rinse the leg and boat and a nice dock with lots of fingers. When the wind blows, the chanel is usually rougher that Coal Harbour. Lots of parking.

The road is not much different than the road to Winter harbour. Paved but swervy. The ramp is wide and in good shape. There is a portopotty, water to rinse the leg and boat and a nice dock with lots of fingers. When the wind blows, the chanel is usually rougher that Coal Harbour. Lots of parking.

Thanks guys. Fished out of Coal Harbour a few times and it always seems like a gong show trying to get the vehicle and trailer parked. I think I'll give PA a try next time, cannot be any worse.

Thanks guys. Fished out of Coal Harbour a few times and it always seems like a gong show trying to get the vehicle and trailer parked. I think I'll give PA a try next time, cannot be any worse.

sounds like a nice place... whats the fishing like. Does a guy have to run to the outside or is there good fishing inside. I'm guessing August run's for Chinnook??
Might have to give it a run. What would the halis be like in the spring?? looking for someplace to take the kids next easter break...

sounds like a nice place... whats the fishing like. Does a guy have to run to the outside or is there good fishing inside. I'm guessing August run's for Chinnook??
Might have to give it a run. What would the halis be like in the spring?? looking for someplace to take the kids next easter break...

Hello Gents,
I had quite a problem loading the boat (24') on the last pull-out at Coal Harbour and actually, the launch was tough, too. The boat is heavy, long and needs a faster drop off into deeper water than Coal Harbour offers. I had to back my truck in pretty deep to get it off and on the trailer. How does Port Alice compare, in that way, with Coal Harbour? Thanks for the help, in advance.
:) Ray

Hello Gents,
I had quite a problem loading the boat (24') on the last pull-out at Coal Harbour and actually, the launch was tough, too. The boat is heavy, long and needs a faster drop off into deeper water than Coal Harbour offers. I had to back my truck in pretty deep to get it off and on the trailer. How does Port Alice compare, in that way, with Coal Harbour? Thanks for the help, in advance.
:) Ray

I stayed in Port Alice 2 weeks ago and we launched a 25 feet Wellcraft there with no problem. It wasn't even high tide. We ran to the outside both days that we fished. It's about 50 minutes cruising at 24 knots. It was my first time there and we didn't try fishing inside but I know that later in August there are some nice Cohos. I believe it closes for Chinook on the inside at some point but I can't remember when.

We get out to PA quite often, never had a problem launching even at low low tide. The public dock there has room for 6 or 7 boats, so you can usually tie up there. The marina is PRIVATE. So be prepared to pull your boat out each night. There is no gas at the water anyway, Winter Harbour being the closest. There is a gas pump in town, be sure to check the hours as you drive by. Last two weeks of June, Coho were outside (just outside) the Sound. August for sure is a good time to catch them inside. It's about 30 minutes to the ocean, calm water. You don't have to go far out, the fishing is great right at the mouth (Cliff Point). The road to PA is paved all the way, quite windy but nicely kept up. Lots of parking room for your trailer and an overflow across the street. Last year in August, there were humpbacks right in the Inlet in front of PA.

When we launched at Coal Harbour it took just under an hour to get all the way to winter harbour gas dock. How much different is the run in time from Port Alice? I too did not care for the launch with a 21ft boat on a bunk trailer it was annoying to have to put the back end of the truck in the water to get the boat off! Appreciate the info!

Just talked to a coulple buddies that just got back from Quatsino and they limited on all species salmon and bottom fish the biggest spring 35lbs and the biggest hali at 81lbs. Sounds like the fishing is picking up inside as the got the springs off Kains! Looking forward to our 2nd trip up there in late August.

SWC

plot a path with your goolge earth ( down load it if you don't have it).
tools/measure/nautical miles/path
the distance from both ports is almost identical.

Back