Prop Guards

Lucky Dog

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of buying a boat with twin 115's, so not kicker.. I'm wondering if it is advisable to get prop guards ? I really don't want to get the downrigger lines cut or rapped up in the prop. Do you think it effect performance? I may take it too the lakes on occasion so they would be good for safety.

If theres room I would suggest you get a kicker motor installed. It will save you putting a ton of trolling hours on your main engines, burn less gas, create less fumes and noise, and youll have more control over your trolling speed.

Just spent a weekend in a booth next to Mac's prop savers - which I have on my kicker (and it works perfectly). This question was asked many times over the weekend. The answer from the source is that they won't work for anything over 50hp. So the "no way, no how" comment above from Rayvon is spot on. :)

You can make a prop guard out of a plastic bucket, real easy, real quick. If you are just thinking of checking the system out.

I manufacture them and sell in stores. Personally I think anything over 30hp is too much. I know macs says 50hp but I would like to see that at full throttle even with stainless.

Aluminum are worse as they will twist.

The drag is too great and may result in a cracked skeg or cavitation plate.

A Mac on my Yamaha T9.9.

I would not pull downriggers without a prop saver!

The white stuff around the bolts is dielectric compound, not corrosion. Photos take at installation, prior to hitting the salt water.

DSCN5648.jpg

DSCN5649.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I've decided not to get prop guards, hopefully I won't have an issue. The 20 pound rigger balls is a good idea I'll give it a shot.

Back