Programming MMSI into ICOM radio?

searun

Hoping there is a tecky out there who has already had the experience of programming their ICOM VHF radio with your MMSI number for the DSC. Looking for a simpleton's version of how to program those MMSI numbers into my 2 ICOM DSC radios.

Thanks in advance.:)

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by searun

Hoping there is a tecky out there who has already had the experience of programming their ICOM VHF radio with your MMSI number for the DSC. Looking for a simpleton's version of how to program those MMSI numbers into my 2 ICOM DSC radios.

Searun

th_067.jpg

There should be instructions in you radio's manual. It's really quite easy if you just follow them.

But do take your time and don't rush it - You are only allowed to input MMSI numbers a limited number of times - 3 I think. If you screw it up, you will have to send it back to Icom to get it changed.

You can download the manuals from the Icom website.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by searun

Searun

th_067.jpg

There should be instructions in you radio's manual. It's really quite easy if you just follow them.

But do take your time and don't rush it - You are only allowed to input MMSI numbers a limited number of times - 3 I think. If you screw it up, you will have to send it back to Icom to get it changed.

You can download the manuals from the Icom website.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks guys. Yes, my instructions say I only get 2 cracks at it which is why I'm nervous. I think it may be best as suggested to go back to see Dane at HC to get his help so I don't screw it up.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Thanks guys. Yes, my instructions say I only get 2 cracks at it which is why I'm nervous. I think it may be best as suggested to go back to see Dane at HC to get his help so I don't screw it up.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Yep, 2 shots! After that - the radio has to be sent back to the factory! That may “NOT” be your biggest issue?

Not an expert on this at all, but before pushing or letting anyone push any buttons to reprogram a MMSI, you need to do some homework on this! The MMSI is assigned not only to the radio, but also to the “boat”! And, I do not have a clue as to Canadian requirements or who issues your numbers!

I do know there has been a lot of misinformation here in the States for quite some time. Unfortunately, I was one of the benefactors of some of the confusion!
quote:
Radios with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) Capability
If you have a marine radio with DSC capability, you must obtain a nine-digit maritime mobile service identity (MMSI) number and have it programmed into the unit before you transmit. Each vessel needs only one MMSI number. Prior to obtaining an MMSI number, you will be asked to provide certain information about your ship. It is important that you obtain an MMSI number because the U.S. Coast Guard uses this information to help speed search and rescue operations.

If your vessel requires licensing by the FCC you will obtain an MMSI number during the application/licensing process when you file FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC.

If your vessel does not require a license you may obtain an MMSI by contacting either BoatUS, Sea Tow Service International, Inc., Shine Micro, or United States Power Squadrons. The contact information is contained in the Public Notice (pdf) announcing agreements with and the procedures for private entities to apply to issue MMSIs.

If your vessel requires licensing by the FCC after you have obtained an MMSI number from BoatUS, Sea Tow Service, Shine Micro, Inc., or United States Power Squadrons, that MMSI number cannot be used during the application/licensing process when you file FCC Forms 159 and 605 with the FCC. MMSI numbers issued by other authorized entities are valid only for ship stations that do not have FCC-issued licenses. Since the ULS will not accept the MMSI that was issued by another entity, you should not enter anything on FCC Form 605, Schedule B. Leave the field blank and the FCC will issue you a new MMSI number.

How do I know there is an issue? I got my MMSI as required from the FCC as I sail in international waters. It was issued to me through the FCC along with my radio operator’s license and call signs. Believing it was “my” MMSI number I entered it in my radio… #2 entry! I then went online and updated all my new information, except… when I got down to changing my boat registration number - it wouldn’t let me do it! Period, end of subject! After many calls… Nope, I have to get a new MMSI, new VHF operator license, assigned to that boat? Not only do I have to complete all new applications, I now have “all” the new fees. In addition, have a radio that has to be sent back to the factory to be reset. Very expensive… very fast!

On the better side of this problem, until I get this worked out and fixed. The number programmed is a valid number, even technically assigned to my “old” boat, but does have all the correct information for my current boat programmed. From what everyone is telling me if I have to send a DSC distress signal, I will be subject to minor rules violation which honestly will be the least of my concerns – if I have to push that button!

Find out if it has a MMSI already programmed in the radio and to what vessel it is assigned, who issued the MMSI and if it is valid. If so, update the MMSI with "your" current information - no reprogram required.

Now, if none of the above apply? The actual programming of the number is quite easy and I am sure most can accomplished without any problems.

The 9-digit MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity: DSC self ID) code can be programmed at power ON. Again, this code programming can be performed only twice.

• Turn power OFF.
• While pushing [MENU], turn power ON to enter MMSI code programming condition.
• After the display appears, release [MENU].
• Push [MENU] to enter the DSC menu.
• Rotate [CHANNEL] to select “Set up,” push [ENT].
• Rotate [CHANNEL] to select “MMSI check,” push [ENT].
• Edit the specific MMSI code directly with the keypad.
• Rotate [CHANNEL] to move the cursor backward or forward.
• Input the 9 digit code, then push [ENT] to set the code.
• Returns to the DSC set up menu.
• Rotate [CHANNEL] to select “Exit,” push [ENT].
• Returns to the DSC menu.
• Repeat again to return to the normal operation condition.

Hey Searun
I could see if Al would do it-He's over doing the electronics on my boat in three weeks or so?
[8D]

Great input everyone. Thanks for your tips and insights. Derby, I think I may have to see what Al can do when he comes over. I have a couple of other wiring jobs for him if he is interested....I can supply all the beer he can consume....after the job is done.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back