prawning this weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter shmat
  • Start date Start date
S

shmat

Well went Sat morn and Sun morning,Sat morn got about 100,prawns 2 traps got raided,Sun morning went and retreived and got about 200,1 trap was raided.This is in Saanich inlet,close to airport...250' of water.....I wish I could catch raiders,would boil them like a prawn......very good prawn feast sun night thou...That's my report..Happy Pawning

Dont think it got raided i was out there as well and we fished near our traps so we watched them and one set had like 200 then the one 50 yds away had like 6 in it
so it all depends if you set right on top of the school of them.and we found that deeper was better.

Wolf

I know trap raiders are common but I think they get blamed every time a trap does poorly. I dropped one two weeks ago saturday night at dusk and picked it up Sunday, very early and I'm sure it wasn't raided. 13 hours and it had 15 prawns. Dropped it back down 50 feet away and fished for hour and a half and had 40 prawns in it. We went out last Dec and put two traps down 100 yards apart and waited (drank beer) Floats were never out of our sight. Two hours later, one had 15 and the other had 140! It's hit and miss depending exact location, trap position, tides etc.

Edited by - bottomfeeder on 04/03/2006 12:39:10

Yah, yesterday i went outside porlier and dropped 2 sets of traps down for 45 mins. 2 traps were empty and the other 2 had about 15 in each trap. Same depth, just a few hundred yards away.

don't know how true this is but i've heard that prawns travel in a line like ants.You pretty much have to drop your trap on the path.If you do,you fill up.If off course a bit,odds decrease.Too far off and they keep goin on thier way.it'd be interesting to go down and see what they are doing

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Yeah that would really be a benefit for one of those underwater cameras! `Course I guess it'd be kinda dark......

I think that another major thing is the type of bait used. We were up in Toba this weekend for some prawns, along with another boat. We were using pellets and they were using cat food. Dropping in almost the same places, depths and same types of traps, we averaged over 100 prawns per trap in 2.5 hour sets, and they had nowhere close to this, and many of their traps were empty.

Great day trip for me. Felt bad for the other guys. We did share though.

FishWish

quote:
I think that another major thing is the type of bait used. We were up in Toba this weekend for some prawns, along with another boat. We were using pellets and they were using cat food. Dropping in almost the same places, depths and same types of traps, we averaged over 100 prawns per trap in 2.5 hour sets, and they had nowhere close to this, and many of their traps were empty.

Great day trip for me. Felt bad for the other guys. We did share though.

FishWish
How far is Toba?

Knucklebuster,

Where are you located? For me, it's about a 1 hour run from Lund to Toba Inlet. I am based out of Powell River in the winter. Great place to go this time of year before the commercial prawn season opens. Didn't see another boat all day.

FishWish

quote:
Knucklebuster,

Where are you located? For me, it's about a 1 hour run from Lund to Toba Inlet. I am based out of Powell River in the winter. Great place to go this time of year before the commercial prawn season opens. Didn't see another boat all day.

FishWish
oops!too far from cowichan bay

quote:
Aww, come on. Fuel would only cost a couple of hundred.:)

FishWish
We have some real good prawning close to me.Especially this year.30-45 min run north or south from cow bay.That'll only cost me about $100-$150 in fuel.
and I got this neighbor who says i'm so lucky to be able to go out and get all this free fish and seafood.Really?where is it?

aha only a couple hundred! Its 100 for me goign to porlier from maple bay and back

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

I can get there a lot cheaper than that.
but it probably takes a lot longer for me! little boat/motor and all.

Back