Prawning lower mainland

• Thread starter Thread starter Brisco
  • Start date Start date
B

Brisco

Could anyone tell me if prawns are open and if so, would they be full of eggs?

The four year olds are still full of eggs, but the rest are still male and tasty! (I said pardon? [:0])

I have never gone for prawns but was thinking of it , i fish of west van can any one tell me were I should try how long to leave the pots in etc I would really appreciate the info, I think my kids would have a good time doing this

Years ago we saw very little in the way of prawn traps and gear at the boat show. Now there are all kinds as well as lifting devices. I guess since we have depleted the bottom fish, the prawn now has few enemies so their numbers have increased. With no salmon to fish people are turning to whats left. I personally don't believe we should be prawning when they have eggs.I have realeased these prawns and don't feel they have a good survival rate. Its kind of like these people that take crabs when they are empty. I have asked what they do with empty crabs and the respond that they make soup. What the hell is that! We need to learn from our neighbour to the south. Washington State is way ahead of us in the management of their shellfish.

Hey thanks Copper Moon, thats a great graphic and article. I'm going to print it off and keep it on the boat for when I'm trying to explain it to friends.

Back