Prawn Structure ??

Islandgirl

I have been out prawning a few times.

When I set my traps in holes all I get are shrimp..when I set them on higher points I get nothing.

What type of structure should I be looking for? How deep for this time of year?

Thanks

Carol, I look for plateau's at around the 200 to 400 foot depth with deeper water beside it. Rocky bottom is preferable as the bugs need this cover for protection.
Look into what structure fresh water crayfish are in. Same goes for prawns. Rocky cliffs with ledges.
Right now my best sets are in the 350 to 450 foot range (WCVI)

boc

Carol, I look for plateau's at around the 200 to 400 foot depth with deeper water beside it. Rocky bottom is preferable as the bugs need this cover for protection.
Look into what structure fresh water crayfish are in. Same goes for prawns. Rocky cliffs with ledges.
Right now my best sets are in the 350 to 450 foot range (WCVI)

boc

When your getting nothing but shrimp it means your on a sandy bottom. Prawns live on rocky cliff faces so look for rocky steep cliff faces starting at 150 to 200 ft and decending downward an addional 50 to 150 ft.
My traps are always in the 200 to 250 ft range give or take.
The prawns will soon start to go deeper as the water starts to warm up. I find this usually happens sometime in April or May in the Chemainus/Crofton waters.

When your getting nothing but shrimp it means your on a sandy bottom. Prawns live on rocky cliff faces so look for rocky steep cliff faces starting at 150 to 200 ft and decending downward an addional 50 to 150 ft.
My traps are always in the 200 to 250 ft range give or take.
The prawns will soon start to go deeper as the water starts to warm up. I find this usually happens sometime in April or May in the Chemainus/Crofton waters.

Your right about that..good thing there are people with eagle eyes that catch these slimeballs!!!
And to think that they could invest in their own prawn gear if they like pulling others traps that much!!

Your right about that..good thing there are people with eagle eyes that catch these slimeballs!!!
And to think that they could invest in their own prawn gear if they like pulling others traps that much!!

just be happy they didn`t take your traps , i personaly lost 4 traps , i`d rather loose just the prawns myself

tight lines

just be happy they didn`t take your traps , i personaly lost 4 traps , i`d rather loose just the prawns myself

tight lines

Back