Power Pro Rigger Line

Just looked at the internet and I noticed that the Power Pro line comes in different colours. For downrigger use I don't think colour is important. Since yellow and red are probably more visible, it would make it a little easier to untangle the fishing line from the downrigger line - should it ever happen ;), I am going to try either red or yellow.

Anyone have any experience or know if the red or yellow lines bleed out any colour?

the yellow bleeds for sure, put it on a reel in june and by nov. it was still bleeding all over the boat. Doesn't seem to stain if you wipe it up quickly.

I have had this line on my hali rods coming up on the 4th year at first the red really bleeds and IT DOES satin the gel coat so every trip until it stopped bleeding I would put a film of dishsoap on the gunnel to protect it where the rod sits in the holder cause I reel up the rods in the holder most of the time,being cold it takes a bit for the soap to rub off as soon as I got back to the dock when I washed the boat down the soap comes off and the stains too works as a protective layer before I did it it was a real ***** once it dried to get the stains off.

The best thing I found to take the stains off is the magic eraser by mr clean dont know whats in those thing but mighty impressive what they do.

Hope that helps

Good luck Wolf

Before using the line, would it not help to soak the line a few times in cool tap water in order to bleed out the excess colour?

I don't want more stains on the gunnels of my boat - I have enough problems with fish blood.

Aik dont think it would help it has some kind of coating on the line almost like a wax and every time you put it down and bring it up the guides of your rod "scrape" it off it only does it for a bit, its not that big of deal as the line is fantastic stuff and I am personally impressed with it.

Wolf

I use the green Power Pro. When I put it on my first downrigger 3 seasons ago I had no bleeding problems. When I put it on the 2nd downrigger, I was surprised to see that itbled onto the gunnels and around the DR base. I tried washing it off with soap and a rag which didn't seem to remove a lot of it. I just left it with the idea of coming back and using something like Wolf suggested. It rained for about a week and I was surprised to see that almost all of the green washed off on it's own just from the rain. Never did have to scrub it with anything. I can't speak for the yellow or red line, only the green.

I tested out the 200# Powerpro on my riggers today and was very happy with the results:

In 160 feet of water i only had 200-205 feet of Powerpro out on the Scotty counters. The 12 pound balls were in the sand for winter Springs going against the flood at 2.8 mph waterspeed. It rolls off the drum reel quiet and smoothe and does not skip and jump like the wire. A Keeper:D:D:D

I have two rolls of the Scotty Braided line (250 lb in 400 foot rolls). I will be putting it on the riggers soon and hope to be out for Vancover winters in a few weeks.
I'm just sick and tired of the stainless cable fraying and breaking.
Plus there is no electrical conductivity issues when using braided.
Its also quiet from all the reports I've read,no hum...
Hopefully it is an improvement..
Time will tell..[8D]

Tailspin,
That is good information.
By chance did you notice if the angle of the line is about the same as with ss cable?

AIK,

You'll find that the balls will hang straighter with less angle using the Power Pro or braided. Thinner line creates less resistance.

The Scotty braid is a bit thick in diameter and requires 15 pounds of lead if your fishing deep or stacking two lines. I used it for a while last season and it was not ideal for me. Powerpro or equivelent spectra is the ticket and with considerable less drag than steel! Will it catch more fish???

Time will tell;).

I recently got a good deal on eBay for some 150 lb. Power Pro line that I was intending to use to replace my wire downrigger lines, is this too light? Most people seem to be using the 200 or 250 lb. test. SS

I am using 130 lbs, after all the rubber snubber that attaches to my ball is, I believe, only #70 lbs, and will break way before the line will.

Check out the guys in Alaska as they have been using it for a few years and find no problem with 130-150 lbs.

SS

Thanks SS, I use the rubber snubber as well but didn't know what the strength was......... much nicer on the hands when handling the ball. I will go ahead and install the Power Pro I have. SS

Quess I'll trade my Sotty braided for Power Pro ...
Lots of guys want the Scotty product but I do fish deep and always stack lines. So if it doesn't work as well?? Is it really that bad compared to Power Pro?? Noticable ??

For me it was price, twice as much PP for the same price. Scotty's stuff is way over priced. Check out the prices in the US and it is a made in BC product.

SS

It is a noticable when stacking two lines and two flashers on the Scotty Braid at 70-90 feet during the summmer it would hang back to far for my stacking requirments even with 15# balls. I only used it for a few weeks on one side. Fine for one line at Summer target depths though.

The Powerpro 200# is visibly thinner and worked wonders in 160 feet with only 12# balls. Less drag than the SS wire IMO. I would think that the 150# would work well strenght wise as well, however with my sample card from Powerpro with all the lines available, it looks a bit thin for release clips and indicator stops on the market not sliding etc. Powerpro definatly has the thinner diameter per test down pat in comparison to other brands. There 80# is lke the diameter of 50# tuff line.

Just my 2 Cents, Good Luck!

Thanks for the info Tailspin. I have not progressed to stacking lines yet and I don't fish in the winter so I should be ok. I use 80 lb. Power Pro on my halibut rods and love it. Everything I have so far is in moss green so I shouldn't have any problems with the colour bleeding.... I was just looking at eBay under Power Pro Line and they have some great deals on 1500 yard spools in most weigths. SS

Back