Port Moody cracks down on derelict boats

False Creek is full of what I call squatters...people at anchor..and also just off Kits beach too....mainly sailboaters....

I have an issue with this...I PAY for water moorage when I need it.

I do not believe it is right that sailboaters are dumping their waste overboard in these areas...

anchoring should be for 12 hours..and it better not be in the same place twice.

It creates a navigation hazard too..most do not have the necessary lights!!!!

Yup.....the Kits Beach boats are creeping ever further out into the channel going to False Creek.

I give a little cheer every time a windstorm washes one up on Kits Beach or Sunset Beach. :p

But as to AA's article, VERY glad to see PoMo doing something about it. :cool:

wait for the court challenge... , even though these boaters are freeloaders, what the municipalities like pomo are doing is illegal .
Until the Shipping Act is changed we will see a infinite amount of money wasted on this issue.

beemer

wait for the court challenge... , even though these boaters are freeloaders, what the municipalities like pomo are doing is illegal .
Until the Shipping Act is changed we will see a infinite amount of money wasted on this issue.

beemer
Also whats illegal about dropping a hook in safe harbour. Used to be able to go all around the coastal waters and tie up to a Federal Dock that we all paid for then someone turned the (our) docks into private community docks. A bunch of rubbish as far as i'm concerned.

Interesting article but unfortunately the argument is flawed on many levels. The only legal arguments he gives are provincial and out of country. The Shipping Act is a Federal Act and it must be decided in a federal court. Transport Canada who administers the Canada Shipping Act has decided that anchorage and moorage is the same thing ,and THAT is why we have this mess on our coastline.

beemer

Good points Beemer. It is obvious that the author/lawyer is more familiar w Provincial verses Federal Shipping/Navigation laws - although he does reference them. His main assertion is that a mooring buoy is "permanent" - so Provincial laws may apply. or Not!

2 issues here - not stated nor described in the article:
1/ how does one assess "permanency" wrt buoys/moorings?, and
2/ the author never mentions what are normal and expected procedures wrt navigation (protected by common law) - which include at some points - anchoring.

My understanding wrt tenures is that drilling/installing a mooring ring/bolt is "permanent"; verses a tied line - which is "temporary". I don't see how a concrete anchor which has the ability to be pulled or removed is "permanent", along with the temporary line tied to the buoy. The author does not offer any supporting evidence/case law to back his assertions here. I think the author is out of his depth here in this area.

The CG does have the Boating Restriction Regulations under the Canada Shipping Act as the author described - which can be used to restrict boats and boating. They are actually called the "Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations" and can be found at: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2008-120/

CG publish a "Local Authorities Guide" (TP14350, Catalogue No.: T29-75/2010E-PDF, ISBN: 978-1-100-16061-0) on how to apply to restrict navigation on a defined waterway using the above regulations. Basically any level of government (federal, provincial, municipal and territorial government authorities) can ask the federal government to restrict the use of all boats, either pleasure craft or commercial vessels on all bodies of water in Canada. They can "ASK"... They also need to do their homework and consult affected user groups.

Last edited:
Although I am not a lawyer , I have battled Mr. Williams in court in regards to marine law (and won!) . The crux of the argument pertains to the enforcement of the "regulations" > The cities are trying to use the Transport Canada
Private Buoy regs to muscle the squatters out as well as other tactics. My belief is that the municipalities will ultimately be defeated in court. (after a huge sum of money is wasted on our behalf) . The Private Buoy Regulations were clearly not intended to address the problem of unwanted and derelict moorage and have been trotted out as a "solution".
IMO the solution lies in the originating Canada Shipping Act that needs to be amended to address anchorage AND the licensing of vessels without these changes the RCMP cannot enforce the laws.
beemer

Back