Port Alberni Plans

nedarb2

In regards to the upset before, ive been able to book a charter at renfrew for august, and my parents have agreed to allow us to go to Alberni for a weekend fishing!
So with this said, ive never fished it before, and will need help with plans and how to fish it. Well be going in the middle of July for hopefully Sockeye.
Question for now,
1. Where should we stay :) well bring our moterhome up, would china creek be suitable? (ive read / looked it up over the internet)
or is there another favored campground / marina close to the fishing?
Thanks

China Creek is your best bet.Keep in mind if you are out in the exposed aera it gets REALLY WINDY in the afternoon.Book your site accordinally.Also book early it fills up quickly,and see if you can get a berth,beats rafting up with the other boats.DAN

yea... china creek is your best bet. but doesn't look like theres gunna be any sockeye fishing this year. but guess what! natives will still fish!
i hate our government. no backbone to natives. i say go out and catch sockeye anyways. if the natives have thier nets in the river, then y can't the whiteman sport fish!

quote:Originally posted by fisherman14

yea... china creek is your best bet. but doesn't look like theres gunna be any sockeye fishing this year. but guess what! natives will still fish!
i hate our government. no backbone to natives. i say go out and catch sockeye anyways. if the natives have thier nets in the river, then y can't the whiteman sport fish!

Natives are not the source of your problem. Frustating to be sure but not the real source. Over fishing of Salmon and bait fish stocks by the commercial fishing industry and habitat destruction in BC has done 100-times more to to bring salmon stocks to their current state of affairs than Native fishing will ever hope to in your's or my life time.

I understand and feel for your frustration - we too suffer from over-fishing south of the boarder but lets point the blame where it truely belongs. Near zero govt oversight for past hundred years and fishing stocks managed by the very group that brough about the current state are you real reasons for decline of Sockeye and other west coast salmon stocks.

One only need look to Striper fishing moritorium on the east coast of the US as your example of how, when commercial and sport fishing is halted, quickly a fish population can recover.

On a lighter note, Chinook and Coho fishing should be good this year.

so if theres no opening, i should aim for late august, and is it stilleasy fishing for springs?

Anywhere on the west coast is good for springs, I fish Renfrew guiding all summer, and I can say that from about Renfrew to as far north as you can go there are springs, and usually lots of 'em. Poet's Nook is NOT that far from the mouth of Barkley, should be lots going on there, and even the odd flattie off Pachena.

Late August early September is good,Have lots of patience,it gets really crowded.Early morning first light is always best,we launch and sit till you can see.Navigation lights are a must!Most days we pack it in by 10 am.Most fishing is no more than 5 to 10 minute run from China Creek.If you decide to run further down to say, Pill Point keep in mind that it blows up around 11 am most days and coming back up through by nahmint can be unpleasant.DAN

Ill have to go buy a chart so i can see all these places you guys are talkign about :p thanks-alot for the input, ill hopefully book a site at china creek this week then, and closer to date ill be needing details on how and where to do the fishing!

p.s., with this other topic on poet nooke, would alberni or poet be prefered? Or is poet a more advanced fishery? THanks

China Creek is not a long drive from Alberni, but all on logging roads that may or may not be in good condition. If you're planning on fishing around China Creek, and not staying over night, it is better to launch in Alberni and run up (in my opinion).

And yes you can launch in the dark at either China or
Alberni.

Hey nedarb...this site will show you some of the areas talked about.
http://salmonuniversity.com/bc_index.html

Nedarb, If you are going to Poetts Nook you are proably going to fish in Barclay sound,thats a whole different can of worms.I would suggest a gps with a map chip for the area.If you only have 2 days stick with Alberni.You can e mail me if you need info for alberni. DAN

agh. i just hate natives and the way they fish in the river. y can't we blame them?:D
and for the comercial fleet. i say that the seiners ruined everything!

but you gotta admit tho. it's not right seeing 40 little freaking native boats fishing in the somass river! RIVER!:(

brandon its a really easy area to fish. not much in the way of reefs, shallow fishing lots of spots ect ect but there are alot of boats and a few idiots always tossed in as well as alot of deadheads.

Back