PORT ALBERNI DERBY

Saltwater Cowboy

How many guys are heading out to Port for the zoo that is the Salmon Festival? Anybody heard of any reports on the fishing since this rain has come? This is my first year trying this derby and although I've heard lot's of nightmare stories of how crowded and how cutthroat the fisherman can be with crossing over your lines or bumping your boat I figure you have to try everything at least once. I hope the story from the Big Q has people thinking about their fellow boater this weekend! Good luck to all, I'll be out in a 21' Grady Center Console "Knuckle Buster" so say hi if you see me!

SW COWBOY

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

Unfortunately I heard things have been slow since last Friday. Tryed this morning and it was as dismall as I've ever seen for this time of year. Not to mention the seiners have been vacuuming whatever is available lately.

There were two boats working around Stamp Narrows this am and one actually had its net set the entire width of the Inlet making it impassable for a time. We stuck around for the haul and saw maybe a dozen or so small springs pulled aboard and some coho/sockeye for their efforts.

Talked to one guide and most highliners have been running to Pill where a mass of fish have been holding. The rain should help move them but be prepared to run the Inlet if things don't improve come the weekened.

Good luck!!

Back