Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Back out in the afternoon, got 3 more, biggest was 14 lbs for us.
All sorts of places inside are producing fish... seen a few in the mid to high twenties.

4ed5a966.jpg

Finished the trip this morning with another 4 springs.

All our fish this weekend were on the inside and we kept 11 total. Not as big as the previous weekend for us, but that has been the most action we have seen inside so far. Lots of fun when it's busy like that.

Back next weekend.... hope it's just as good or better.

BT

Hey BT how is the wind down there I have been gettin blown six ways from sunday at times in china creek.

The wind hasn't been that bad, and when it is there are a lot of places to fish and be protected from the wind.

Wind in the sound is usually not related to what's happening in the inlet. It can be ugly as hell in the inlet and sweet in the sound.

BT

Well, I finally have an opportunity to get the young fella out fishing on the Alberni Inlet for sockeye tomorrow and if they are around I think we can do okay there - fished them for a few years and did alright. But my darling 15 year old put a condition on the trip: He wants to jig for bottom fish (lings, yellow eye or halibut). If we travel out to the Chain Group or the Deer Group will we be able to find some bottom fish? Is it worth while to drop crab traps in the bays in that area? I don't need any secret areas, just a general idea. Thanks in advance. PM me if you would rather not say it aloud. :) Also, where do you guys check for wind forcasts for the that area (websites)?

Will post reports tomorrow night!

Thanks Freedom, I have the Broken Group and that offshore block marked on my charts as a "no-go zones" and I appreciate the link. We'll poke around and see what we can find. Probably leave the traps for a different day, but we're gonna find some lings!! I hope.

sox in Alberni

can anyone tell me if the sox are scooling in any numbers yet? anyone limiting out? thanx for any info.

It was a good day for the sockeye just out from China Creek this morning. My son and I got seven in a little over an hour (started at 6am) and then headed out to the sound for some jigging. We were skunked on the bottom fish but it was a great day and good weather.

Sockeye were hitting all sorts of squirts black/pink, blue/pink, pink/pink...anything. We fished four rods and two dummie flashers. The cannon balls were at 55' and 65', then 15' between each line. Green flashers.

Looked like everyone was catching when we were. Good luck all!

Heading to Ukee tomorrow to fish Saturday Sunday and Monday. Does anyone have anything to report for offshore? (where? how deep? type of gear? etc.)

H.E.H.

Big Bank....off the bottem ....turds ...lots of Pinners & paddles with the odd 30 pound Hali...in the mix =:D

Went out on Monday to the Alberni Inlet and brought in 4 sockeye and lost a bunch more from 6-7:15am. Everybody's rods were going off....then headed out to Pill Point. There we had some sockeye on and maybe a spring or coho...but brought nothing else home. Certainly grateful for an incredible place to live and play!

Lots of nice Chins in the sound - teeners to mid 20's. Bait show, or at least that's what seemed to work for us.

Went out on Monday to the Alberni Inlet and brought in 4 sockeye and lost a bunch more from 6-7:15am. Everybody's rods were going off....then headed out to Pill Point. There we had some sockeye on and maybe a spring or coho...but brought nothing else home. Certainly grateful for an incredible place to live and play!
You were into some Sockeye at Pill point? Interesting, as we are heading to Ukee for the weekend, may be worth a run over to Pill if they are about.

Back