Porpoising podded Hourston’s

23Hourston

This has been an ongoing obsession of mine. I plan to pod 23 Hourston Hopefully this winter. The motor will have to come later.. —One area that I have a hard time gathering info on is the exact combo.. pod type to weight ratio.( if that’s even the right way to describe it) I have looked at many many prodded Hourstons some sit heavy in the back some to light an look to be butt high.
After talking to some of the owners they’ve had to move batteries to the front or the fuel tanks around add ballast Ect ect. Also I see a lot of them Porpoising. But the Hurston’s i observe with the inboards run flat as does mine. Talk to ten different guys get ten different answers. Has anyone nailed the perfect ratio and willing to show me South Island
Thanks

Subscribed. I'd have to go back and look at my notes but there are a couple podded hourstons out there and they look perfect. You may want to call Pete at hourna in Vancouver as he was involved in building most of their boats for many years.

Ya it’s odd some that sit perfectly in the water porpoise more than any others. Ya if ya got any info please share. I think Hourston is shut down packed up and land sold

Ya I run into Bill in Secret Cove all summer but we don't chat boats much. I'm also talking with a naval architect company as this has to be done right if at all.

Mark Grant redid a 23 and podded it..250 Yami on it. He did a good job and I haven't noticed any issues with how it runs...sits level when fishing or at dock as well. He is a guide in Sooke.

Mark Grant redid a 23 and podded it..250 Yami on it. He did a good job and I haven't noticed any issues with how it runs...sits level when fishing or at dock as well. He is a guide in Sooke.
Do you know if his is stepped or flush with the bottom of hull

There is a couple here in renfrew, guide boats, podded 26ft Hourston, both of them look balanced and some of the nicest looking , stable boats going by at 30 knots.

Is the porpoising issue in the smaller boats? Mine does not porpoise with heavy outboards hanging way back and the batteries in the back. In fact you barely notice it getting onto step. I would think the 23’ would have similar results. If your around the mid island your welcome to take a look.

Is the porpoising issue in the smaller boats? Mine does not porpoise with heavy outboards hanging way back and the batteries in the back. In fact you barely notice it getting onto step. I would think the 23’ would have similar results. If your around the mid island your welcome to take a look.

Did you take it off the market? If so I would like to have a look at some point. There are a couple of factory podded island runners 26' hulls between secret cove and savary, we are trying to track those down to have a look. I'm fairly sure hourston didn't do much beyond bolt on someone else's pod but I'd like to see one in person before breaking out the chainsaw to my transom.

Did you take it off the market? If so I would like to have a look at some point. There are a couple of factory podded island runners 26' hulls between secret cove and savary, we are trying to track those down to have a look. I'm fairly sure hourston didn't do much beyond bolt on someone else's pod but I'd like to see one in person before breaking out the chainsaw to my transom.

I’m going to keep it for now. I thought I wanted to move to a Grady/pursuit style boat but then my wife said her and the kids wouldn’t be coming anymore... I get it, we run the diesel heater in the cabin almost year round! Shoot me a pm if your around nanaimo.

Thanks both of you, I will definitely pop over in the Fall. I find my boat sits really boyant now and would want to make sure we calculate for weight transfer, etc correctly before converting.

I figure its this winter or a new boat with twin outboards. I have been looking at some of the 28' glass boats they rattle on about via hull truth but most are fulll walk around center consoles. The one that caught my eye if money wasn't an object (it is!) Is an Edgewater 280CX bit they don't build a closed deck version so those fancy seats up front would never be used a whole lot.

Thanks guys.

This has been an ongoing obsession of mine. I plan to pod 23 Hourston Hopefully this winter. The motor will have to come later.. —One area that I have a hard time gathering info on is the exact combo.. pod type to weight ratio.( if that’s even the right way to describe it) I have looked at many many prodded Hourstons some sit heavy in the back some to light an look to be butt high.
After talking to some of the owners they’ve had to move batteries to the front or the fuel tanks around add ballast Ect ect. Also I see a lot of them Porpoising. But the Hurston’s i observe with the inboards run flat as does mine. Talk to ten different guys get ten different answers. Has anyone nailed the perfect ratio and willing to show me South Island
Thanks

Notch the transom! lol ya baby.... :)

@23Hourston PM me your finding before I make a grave mistake and go with the wrong combo
@ExFlyGuy what heater are you running?

Notch the transom! lol ya baby.... :)

@23Hourston PM me your finding before I make a grave mistake and go with the wrong combo
@ExFlyGuy what heater are you running?

A buddy of mine has his boat in at Jenkins 23 Hourston getting pod built. I’m seeing how that one ends up before I do anything. Out fishing sooke again today. Man there’s a lot of Nicelydone hourstons out there. Also seen the best 21.5 Hourston I have ever seen today. It was podded but must have been a factory Hourston job. The rear corners of the transom came down On a angle and meet the far corners of the Extension. Looked Incredible. And I think it had a 300 Suzuki on it

A buddy of mine has his boat in at Jenkins 23 Hourston getting pod built. I’m seeing how that one ends up before I do anything. Out fishing sooke again today. Man there’s a lot of Nicelydone hourstons out there. Also seen the best 21.5 Hourston I have ever seen today. It was podded but must have been a factory Hourston job. The rear corners of the transom came down On a angle and meet the far corners of the Extension. Looked Incredible. And I think it had a 300 Suzuki on it

Yep lots of guys with talent and/or bank to get the tubs looking spiffy :) Sounds kinda like a modified Euro transom, not sure if Hourston produced any of these styles or if it be custom... Thank you for the reply keep me posted on your findings, thx.

The rear corners of the transom came down On a angle and meet the far corners of the Extension. Looked Incredible. And I think it had a 300 Suzuki on it

That is the 26 swiftsure model they built I know of only a handful that were made...

Wasn't the Swiftsure model a 26Ft hull with a 23ft cabin on it, so the dance floor was huge. I have only ever seen that one Swiftsure boat, Always thought that was the only one. They did have it on their website when it was up and running
That is the 26 Swiftsure model they built I know of only a handful that were made...

Back