Pod conversions. Who does them?

Just put it in the water yesterday & started to break in Procedure 2hrs 30min worth...Should be able to crack it wide open in another 30 minutes.. I can say I can get it up on plane at 4000rpm and go 21 to 23miles per hr .. The 300hp could not do that :) The dual prop and reversing unbelievable how much nicer and easier it is now .... Looking forward to next week :)
Congrats on the new power and I think you will be more than happy with your choice. I did the same on my 27 Orca last year and am super pleased with the results. I get a 27-28 MPH cruise at 14-15 GPH at 4500 RPM, which me , the boat and motor seem to be happy at. 40 MPH at WOT. As you have already found out, with the dual prop, getting up on plane,reversing and docking is a breeze,plus super quiet. I believe there was an issue with a lower seal in the first year of production but the good news is that we didn't get any in Canada until the second year of production and the problem was corrected. The complete job was done by Brant Marine in Ladner, who are a Suzuki dealer and have been doing full conversions for
years on a wide variety of boats. I guess we will know more in the long run but so far a very happy camper.
Hope-Bay-1.jpg
[/url]

I've done a ton of pod conversions. I've worked with PDR lots. I have another pod guy as well that can build anything. PDR pods I use for certain type boats where people want a powerdercoated finish. He does a nice job with that.

I sub out all fiberglass work to Stuart @stuartsyachts in poco. He's the master.

We do everything in house except for the pod building and glass and upholstery. Food for thought.

This thread just became a bit more real, volvo updated my "in-stock" long block to "6 to 8 weeks" or so...fak, this blows. Even if I could find someone to work with and do the conversion, I'm guessing dealers aren't sitting on loose inventory of v8 verados or dp Suzukis...

Last edited:
So there were a few suggestions on another thread but I just wanted to get the info from one place. Where can I get a price for a full conversion from proper engineering, design, glass work, rigging and sale of old equipment. Does this exist? I can take the boat anywhere. My preference would be Suzuki outboards for the warranty and the duoprop option. You can convince me otherwise.

these guys have been building and engineerin them for quite a while, I've had a few people get their pods/brackets, they are very good about asking the right questions and getting the setup right for each boat.

as far as one stop shop, still no one has come out on top on that one, most importantly is getting the pod right the first time. for installation you will get the best results if you already know the whole process and discuss it with the shop doing the work, to make sure everyone is on the same page, that will ensure nothing is overlooked or forgotten, and that there is a set standard for the expected outcome.

these guys have been building and engineerin them for quite a while, I've had a few people get their pods/brackets, they are very good about asking the right questions and getting the setup right for each boat.

as far as one stop shop, still no one has come out on top on that one, most importantly is getting the pod right the first time. for installation you will get the best results if you already know the whole process and discuss it with the shop doing the work, to make sure everyone is on the same page, that will ensure nothing is overlooked or forgotten, and that there is a set standard for the expected outcome.
and do it over winter when shop are less pressured

This is not a "one stop shop," however they should be able to assist you with getting a properly designed and engineered pod/engine bracket which you could then have built by a marine fabricator or boat builder.

http://www.conradyachts.com/engine_brackets.html
You have single handedly ruined my quiet weekend! Madly looking at how to get tow permits for a 10 foot beam and thinking of how I can make an extra 50k a year. http://www.conradyachts.com/12_tuna32_fisherman.html

Second vote for Derek welding up your pod. He used to be the welding superintendent for a client and I play hockey with him, watch those elbows. His company and him are on Facebook.

Back