Pod conversions. Who does them?

Rain City

Crew Member
So there were a few suggestions on another thread but I just wanted to get the info from one place. Where can I get a price for a full conversion from proper engineering, design, glass work, rigging and sale of old equipment. Does this exist? I can take the boat anywhere. My preference would be Suzuki outboards for the warranty and the duoprop option. You can convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
So there were a few suggestions on another thread but I just wanted to get the info from one place. Where can I get a price for a full conversion from proper engineering, design, glass work, rigging and sale of old equipment. Does this exist? I can take the boat anywhere. My preference would be Suzuki outboards for the warranty and the duoprop option. You can convince otherwise.

A "one stop shop" such as this doesn't exist, not really that I've been able to find. Closest I can tell is Jenkins Marine or call PDR in Bellingham with a partner. I think Brandt Marine could manage this, as could Monaro Marine...bring your cheque book, you first...DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I think you take your life into your hands, or the outcome anyway, as you would need to engage with a naval architect who had access to structural drawings for your boat. Step 1. get it structurally surveyed and then go hog wild.

PAGING @myles we have our first hot lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there were a few suggestions on another thread but I just wanted to get the info from one place. Where can I get a price for a full conversion from proper engineering, design, glass work, rigging and sale of old equipment. Does this exist? I can take the boat anywhere. My preference would be Suzuki outboards for the warranty and the duoprop option. You can convince me otherwise.

Lots of trouble w/ duo prop Suzuki currently - picking up weeds in their design and overheating,, blowing lower unit seals, very slow warranty response, etc.

I wouldn’t touch the Suzuki 350s personally. Too many reports of major issues online. I’d go with the new Mercs if it was my money. If you are looking on the island I can give you the numbers of people I used. They are a combination of “backyard” and larger shops . I bet I saved quite a bit of money doing it this way vs letting a place like breakers or rpm handle everything but I could be wrong. Having said that, both of those shops would likely do a really nice job. I remember asking the guy with the podded 30’ Commander with the name tight lines or something like that what his glass work and pod cost . I don’t remember the number, but I remember it was pretty high end. I also heard a rumour that he had a major hull crack after podding due to hitting a wave going too fast . Not sure if it’s true but it may be worth contacting him from his for sale ad and getting some info from him.

Karl built and painted pod - 250 731 4679
Brad from Boost rigged engines and everything else - 250 731 5658.
Glass guy I can’t find his number but can track it down if you need.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t touch the Suzuki 350s personally. Too many reports of major issues online. I’d go with the new Mercs if it was my money. If you are looking on the island I can give you the numbers of people I used. They are a combination of “backyard” and larger shops . I bet I saved quite a bit of money doing it this way vs letting a place like breakers or rpm handle everything but I could be wrong. Having said that, both of those shops would likely do a really nice job. I remember asking the guy with the podded 30’ Commander with the name tight lines or something like that what his glass work and pod cost . I don’t remember the number, but I remember it was pretty high end. I also heard a rumour that he had a major hull crack after podding due to hitting a wave going too fast . Not sure if it’s true but it may be worth contacting him from his for sale ad and getting some info from him.

Karl built and painted pod - 250 731 4679
Brad from Boost rigged engines and everything else - 250 731 5658.
Glass guy I can’t find his number but can track it down if you need.
hope not.. I got one my tub now :(

hope not.. I got one my tub now :(

Yours is a lot newer than the ones that seem to be having issues as discussed on the hull truth. The only concern to me is the high compression on the 350hp while the 300hp might do better on marine gas.

Hows that sucker running anyway?

Rain City, what boat are you thinking of podding? Is it currently an i/o or outboard? One thing guys often forget is to pod right, you must have a beefed up transom that is thicker than your standard i/o transom, and frankly I cannot tell you how thick you need. I have seen podded boats with some stress cracks on the transom near where the bracket attaches, which suggests to me that some boats might need more work done to be suitable, and to your point, suggests finding someone with lots of experience in this arena. Dwayne who owns PDR in Bellingham is the NW expert in building and installing pods, and perhaps you cannot cross the border to talk with him currently, he is quite approachable on the phone. He has done all the Seasport and Osprey OEM pods since the early 2000's. good luck. DAJ

Rain City, what boat are you thinking of podding? Is it currently an i/o or outboard? One thing guys often forget is to pod right, you must have a beefed up transom that is thicker than your standard i/o transom, and frankly I cannot tell you how thick you need. I have seen podded boats with some stress cracks on the transom near where the bracket attaches, which suggests to me that some boats might need more work done to be suitable, and to your point, suggests finding someone with lots of experience in this arena. Dwayne who owns PDR in Bellingham is the NW expert in building and installing pods, and perhaps you cannot cross the border to talk with him currently, he is quite approachable on the phone. He has done all the Seasport and Osprey OEM pods since the early 2000's. good luck. DAJ
Thanks man! I'm thinking about my Commander which is giving me 15000 lbs of concern about just that! If it's not signed off by an architect I'm not doing it. No if ands or buts about it.

Yours is a lot newer than the ones that seem to be having issues as discussed on the hull truth. The only concern to me is the high compression on the 350hp while the 300hp might do better on marine gas.

Hows that sucker running anyway?
Just put it in the water yesterday & started to break in Procedure 2hrs 30min worth...Should be able to crack it wide open in another 30 minutes.. I can say I can get it up on plane at 4000rpm and go 21 to 23miles per hr .. The 300hp could not do that :) The dual prop and reversing unbelievable how much nicer and easier it is now .... Looking forward to next week :)

Attachments

• 20210512_154429.jpg
    20210512_154429.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 91
A "one stop shop" such as this doesn't exist, not really that I've been able to find. Closest I can tell is Jenkins Marine or call PDR in Bellingham with a partner. I think Brandt Marine could manage this, as could Monaro Marine...bring your cheque book, you first...DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I think you take your life into your hands, or the outcome anyway, as you would need to engage with a naval architect who had access to structural drawings for your boat. Step 1. get it structurally surveyed and then go hog wild.

PAGING @myles we have our first hot lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
great work VP :P

Back