Pleasure Craft Operators Card

M

Mongoose

I know by 2010 its mandatory to have a pleasure craft operators card for people born before 198?. but has anyone been actually asked by a official to show them there card?

quote:Originally posted by Mongoose

I know by 2010 its mandatory to have a pleasure craft operators card for people born before 198?. but has anyone been actually asked by a official to show them there card?
I was pulled over a couple years ago for a routine check by rcmp. I produced my card on the thought that he might not be too critical on me or my boat.He didn't actually ask for it though.
(still got a written warning for no waterproof flashlight)

You won't see much in the way of enforcement until the mandatory dates are in place.. Just another bit of paper work until then. It has been in effect with the lodges and guides for a few years now.. -dirty

You won't see much in the way of enforcement until the mandatory dates are in place.. Just another bit of paper work until then. It has been in effect with the lodges and guides for a few years now.. -dirty

How this applies to operators** of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes Date at which proof of competency required on board

All operators born after April 1, 1983 September 15, 1999

All operators of craft under 4 m in length, including personal watercraft September 15, 2002

All operators September 15, 2009

How this applies to operators** of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes Date at which proof of competency required on board

All operators born after April 1, 1983 September 15, 1999

All operators of craft under 4 m in length, including personal watercraft September 15, 2002

All operators September 15, 2009

They are mostly targeting young kids and owners of jet skis. Not to many power boats smaller then 4 m (13') which are not jet skis. Thats why everyone else is postdated years down the road. If you have taken a powersquadren course you are automatically approved.

ah those dam young kids! lol im thinking of getting mine is there any places in victoria or online wheres it easy to get the card?

Has anyone else almost been hit by a Sewell's rental boat?How can they put a boat capable of that kind of speed in the hands of people who have never driven a boat before.It's insane.Some of these people can't drive a car let alone be aware of rules and regs on the water!

The best way to get this qualification is to go to your local Canadian Power and Sail Squadron and take the Boating Course. Yes, I'm a proud
member :D. See here:

http://www.cps-ecp.ca/

I agree urchin, took mine 8 years ago and then took the next level course. I encourage every one new to the water to take it, not only is it indepth but you get the experiences of lots of instructors and your classmates.

Education, not legistation!

I agree Power squadron is the way to go. I teach a couple of the courses and I think that you get a better working knowledge, than just reading a book and answering a quiz. If you check around you will find most areas are just getting ready to start their fall courses.

quote:Originally posted by Kisinana

I agree Power squadron is the way to go. I teach a couple of the courses and I think that you get a better working knowledge, than just reading a book and answering a quiz. If you check around you will find most areas are just getting ready to start their fall courses.
+1 I took it 5 years ago. Having grown up on the water I figured I new it all. I went in there with a 'this will be a breeze' attitude. Boy was I wrong. What I had were a lot of bad habits and misconceptions. I learned a lot. I've been asked this year to help proctor . Classes start next week. Well worth it.

think I might just get me wifeypoo to go to power squadrons for the course should be good for her me thinks

Our area (Powell)it is 170 for 1st family member and 140 for additional members. Course runs 2 nights a week from second week of September to first week of December. There is also an arrangement to get your radio operators card for VHF at the same time. Course covers

-POWER/SAILBOAT HANDLING
-CHARTS
-COMPASS
-AIDS TO NAVIGATION
-PLOTTING & CALCULATIONS
-BEARINGS & FIXES
-GOV. REGULATIONS
-SAFETY
-ROPES/LINES & KNOTS
-ANCHORING
-WEATHER
-RIGHT OF WAY AND TIDES

This includes the test for your PCOC

Where I live I see the Marine traffic heading to and from Desolation Sound and the traffic across to the island intersect. It is amazing how many people do not understand the right of way on the water causing ferries to alter course and sailboats to loose the wind.
We allow visitors to B.C. to drive a boat with no restrictions. I feel it should be the same as a vehicle license, take a course be tested and if no license you are not allowed to operate a boat.

quote:Originally posted by Kisinana

Our area (Powell)it is 170 for 1st family member and 140 for additional members. Course runs 2 nights a week from second week of September to first week of December. There is also an arrangement to get your radio operators card for VHF at the same time. Course covers

-POWER/SAILBOAT HANDLING
-CHARTS
-COMPASS
-AIDS TO NAVIGATION
-PLOTTING & CALCULATIONS
-BEARINGS & FIXES
-GOV. REGULATIONS
-SAFETY
-ROPES/LINES & KNOTS
-ANCHORING
-WEATHER
-RIGHT OF WAY AND TIDES

This includes the test for your PCOC

Where I live I see the Marine traffic heading to and from Desolation Sound and the traffic across to the island intersect. It is amazing how many people do not understand the right of way on the water causing ferries to alter course and sailboats to loose the wind.
We allow visitors to B.C. to drive a boat with no restrictions. I feel it should be the same as a vehicle license, take a course be tested and if no license you are not allowed to operate a boat.

Having a 65 Ton Ticket, and years of experience on the Ocean, there's only ONE thing that's going to save your life above all else taught in that course. Good, Experienced Judgement. If you don't have that, in combination, a series of mistakes and circumstances will take your life. Including that of the guys in floater suits who drowned off Denman Island last winter.

Anyone want to debate that, can get involved in a couple of search and rescue missions which turn into body recovery missions, and then see if you talk the same way about Power Squadron courses.

Useful, yes, cure all to foolish people and will it save their lives if they lack good judgement? Perhaps in certain circumstances.

Guys in power squadron courses will tell you that too...if they don't..they've been teaching the course too long and are getting sloppy.

I agree with you. The one thing that is stressed in the course is safety, safety and good judgement.
Anytime I go out I check the weather reports watch the tides and on the water for I watch for any signs of things changing. I carry 2 radios, one of which is always on the weather channel. I've been using boats the better part of 40 years and I still do a safety check each time I go out. I don't believe in taking chances as there is always another day you can go out.
Cure all the foolish people, no chance. I do not think they are the ones who take the courses as they already know it all.
Help instil a little good judgement and basic fundementals, I hope so.

Back