Pinks

tinboatrobb

I may have missed a post on this but I am wondering if the pinks are starting to show around Victoria yet. Thanks.

I've seen a few jumpers around Sidney. Facebook reminded me that two years ago we were catching limits at Pender Bluffs.

Anything new to report on the pinks.. Looking to fish the VH bouy in front of Victoria for pinks. Heard word that they are bigger that last run.

They showed up in my local Sobeys today,, $32.50 lol. I was standing there looking at them shaking my head and the butcher comes up to me, I says holy smokes man,, $32.50 for a 4# Pink. He says yah but look, you buy one you get one free lol. I says that's alright I'll be heading out west in 3 weeks I'll fill the cooler with them if I want. Pale soft as mush Pinks for $15 a piece I'll pass. Not that I mind Pinks that much I usually keep a few when I come out, they're decent on the grill but not the ones I was looking at today.

Anything new to report on the pinks.. Looking to fish the VH bouy in front of Victoria for pinks. Heard word that they are bigger that last run.
not today Rob. I think the rock pile is your best , close to Victoria right now.

beemer

They showed up in my local Sobeys today,, $32.50 lol. I was standing there looking at them shaking my head and the butcher comes up to me, I says holy smokes man,, $32.50 for a 4# Pink. He says yah but look, you buy one you get one free lol. I says that's alright I'll be heading out west in 3 weeks I'll fill the cooler with them if I want. Pale soft as mush Pinks for $15 a piece I'll pass. Not that I mind Pinks that much I usually keep a few when I come out, they're decent on the grill but not the ones I was looking at today.
Holy crap! I like to cruise by the fish counter once in awhile here and see what they're charging for salmon but that price for pinks is unbelievable! I hope you told your wife so you could say how much money your saving being a fisherman!

I spent a few hours last tuesday evening around scretary island earlier in the week and caught 8 pinks (all on a pink squirt). Good size all around 6-7 lbs. put 3 on the smoker and had one for dinner that night - all delishious! I was pretty stoked and tried again Thursday; however not a bite in 4 hrs! I mentioned this to a fellow at the dock and he said they are probably arriving in runs. I can confirm that they were abundant and larger than usual. In desperation, I have previously bought frozen pink from the stores to smoke and it was so mushy and smelled like bleach!

I don't have any actual evidence of this but, a few years ago I met an old fisherman out on the coast and we were chatting over the cleaning table one afternoon. He told me that Pinks are the healthiest salmon for you. Do to the fact they are the youngest of the spawners (2 years) they have less time to absorb the toxins from the water. Like I say I don't know never looked into it but hey,, sometimes common sense things just make sense yah know.

Where are they. I'm not having any pink luck. I wanna get my 8 year old on them. He's getting bored of going for the evasive spring haha

We got into them in the 500+ ft of water range and we caught ours fairly deep between 110-130 but a couple guys at the cleaning table were saying 60-80.

We found them all over off East Sooke. 40-80 ft of water. From right up to shore all the way out to the 2nd tide line.

Last edited:
They may not swim the inside water's like they did 4 years ago.
Constance or Yellow can would be a better bet if you don't want to go to Sooke.

Back