Petition-Save the IFS

One by one various stocks that should be listed under SARA are ignored because the impact on "the fishery" is too great. This has resulted in those stocks being eradicated and lost forever. Maybe the threat of actually listing something might get DFO to get their head out of their arse and actually bring in meaningful changes to the way they do business.
Does anyone actually think a SARA listing would result in FN nets being pulled from the Fraser?

Does anyone actually think a SARA listing would result in FN nets being pulled from the Fraser?

Rules as written they would need an exemption. Conservation is still in our laws before FSC.(yes i know hahahaha).

However, we all know this sock will never be listed. AS is evident in this discussion, no sector will lobby for it. Advice to the minister is "to much economic, social and ceremonial harm"

Maybe the threat of actually listing something might get DFO to get their head out of there arse and actually bring in meaningful changes to the way they do business.

That's the desperate attempt of this petition awareness and pressure.

One by one various stocks that should be listed under SARA are ignored because the impact on "the fishery" is too great. This has resulted in those stocks being eradicated and lost forever. Maybe the threat of actually listing something might get DFO to get their head out of their arse and actually bring in meaningful changes to the way they do business.
Yep - Sadly, the IFS already looks like a lost cause. :(

There's even higher number of SRKWs in our waters than the possible spawners up river. It's past the dire point of extinction IMO. The only hope is that this petition may get some momentum and cause some PR turmoil in the government's higher floors just so they feel the heat and think of a different direction. And yes, SARA is not practical in any sense. It's a sledge hammer that's just too heavy for any scenario.

Not sure it will make any difference but I can’t stop trying

This petition is about much more than netting and has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. If passed, this would mean far, far more restrictions to angling in both salt and freshwater, and sadly for a group of fish that imo have no chance of recovery. It's just too late for IFS but perhaps is a lesson learned for the Skeena system.

This petition is about much more than netting and has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. If passed, this would mean far, far more restrictions to angling in both salt and freshwater, and sadly for a group of fish that imo have no chance of recovery. It's just too late for IFS but perhaps is a lesson learned for the Skeena system.
And what About all the Chinook that are on the edge? Do we throw them under the bus as Steelhead have been?

What about the Steelhead on the West Coast of Vancouver Island?

What about the Summer Run Steelhead on the Stamp that are in the same position as the Thompson?
Where is the plan to save them?

There are lots of people who say Salmon should be a provincial responsibility. Yet the Province has shown they are totally not capable of this.

Not sure it will make any difference but I can’t stop trying

I signed it but i'm okay with playing chicken. AS i Personally don't think they will list but I believe getting them to respond will get them to attest think about this.

I also believe that if they were to list the economic fall out would be so great that it would cause things to progress faster and decisions to be made.

I signed it but i'm okay with playing chicken. AS i Personally don't think they will list but I believe getting them to respond will get them to attest think about this.

I also believe that if they were to list the economic fall out would be so great that it would cause things to progress faster and decisions to be made.
If you SARA list IFS why not the other Chinook and Steelhead stocks at risk in the other systems. But to do so would literally end recreational fishing for salmon and steelhead as we know it now both tidal and non tidal.
I don't believe SARA is the answer. I'm not sure what or if we can revitalize our fisheries but I am confident that the current divisions between all the user groups will only facilitate Govt. inaction and the subsequent loss of our fisheries.

I don't believe SARA is the answer

The answer is pain but no one wants the pain.

my opinion

Id also be fine with them writing off some stocks in favor of fisheries just don't preach conservation at me then.

Last edited:

my opinion

Id also be fine with them writing off some stocks in favor of fisheries just don't preach conservation at me then.
With respect the pain is here and now. The current solution to fisheries management issues is recreational closure with no other options to address the core issues. The more fisheries closed = less fishermen = fewer advocates = ????????
We need to get DFO, the Province, FN , commercial fishermen and recreational fishermen to sit down together and truly collaborate on identifying the problems and identify solutions that will work . Then do it! We don't need anymore studies we need action.

If you are a steelheader first and salmon fisherman second, as I am, well the pain has been here for some time. The majority of ECVI steelhead streams have been in the toilet for 20 years. The IFS have been closed for a decade. The once mightly gold steelhead are functionally extinct already.
The work together, blah blah blah, have another study, blah blah blah, point some fingers at the other guy, blah blah blah, blame the usual suspects,logging, seals, climate change, commies, FN, habitat, the blob, send another letter to your MP, blah blah blah.
These have all been tried ad nauseum, to no avail.
SARA is a different path that MIGHT make the various agencies actually do something constructive, and yes, if it is enacted, some people other than steelhead fishermen might feel some pain. Don't worry, I am certain that the can will continue to get kicked down the road, lots more blah blah blah, and nothing is going to change.

Last edited:
With respect the pain is here and now. The current solution to fisheries management issues is recreational closure with no other options to address the core issues. The more fisheries closed = less fishermen = fewer advocates = ????????
We need to get DFO, the Province, FN , commercial fishermen and recreational fishermen to sit down together and truly collaborate on identifying the problems and identify solutions that will work . Then do it! We don't need anymore studies we need action.

your preaching to the choir. I agree

a Sara listing would be a pendulum swing. Imo. Without it it’s status quo and if that’s the case then I say open it up to fishing and move on and drop the ifs restrictions

I’m all for recovery plans with goals and real actions instead of meaningless rec closure.

Last edited:
Back