Outrigger advice

carpeweekend

Crew Member
I'm looking to add outriggers to my 33' aluminum for tuna fishing. Have been pretty successful over the past few years without outriggers but like the idea of being able to cover more water when the fishing isn't as hot. Ideally, would like to run an additional two lines on both sides of boat. Any advice or insights out there would be appreciated. Size, brand, mounting locations?

you can spend a tonne of money on them, 3500.00 for carbon fibre!!! i use sea choice- 600.00

15’ - 18’ outriggers would work well for your size boat. There are fixed and collapsible versions, I think most people go for collapsible to make them easier to store. On the fixed versions you can get internal rigging to tidy things up, but it seems like it would be a nightmare if you had to do any repairs or re-rigging, especially out on the water.

Mount the bases relatively close to the rear corners of your hardtop - about 6” - 12” in from the outside edge and 1’ - 3’ forward depending on what makes the best fit. I’d recommend ones that have a handle that allows you at least swivel them into position from underneath. Some allow you to adjust the height from underneath as, but that you’ll probably find you’ll set it once and leave it.

Taco Marine makes basic to mid level bases and outriggers, Gemlux and Rupp are mid level and up. Marsh Tacky makes high end outriggers only. You can mix and match bases and outriggers, just make sure that base and outrigger butt section are the matching size.

Note you will also need to think about where you are going to place your halyard tensioners. This is usually slightly aft of where the bases are mounted and on the top of the gunnel. Needs to somewhere easily accessible as this is where you will be operating the riggers from. Gemlux makes a suction mount if you have a smooth surface that will work and you want something removable.

Another consideration is rod holder configuration - which ones you will be using for the outriggers and which will be used for running rods straight to the gear. On my boat (30’ Pursuit), I have two rod holders on each side of the vertical hardtop stanchion that work well for the outriggers (top rod goes to the outer line). I can then run two more rods from the gunnel rod holders, plus hand lines from the rear cleats. On my buddy’s 30” Grady, he doesn’t have the stanchion rod holders, so we run the outrigger rods off the front two gunnel rod holders. It works OK, but a bit more prone to tangles when the bite is on. You could put the outer rod in the corner rocket launcher, but they can be a pain in the butt to get down with a fish on.

15’ - 18’ outriggers would work well for your size boat. There are fixed and collapsible versions, I think most people go for collapsible to make them easier to store. On the fixed versions you can get internal rigging to tidy things up, but it seems like it would be a nightmare if you had to do any repairs or re-rigging, especially out on the water.

Mount the bases relatively close to the rear corners of your hardtop - about 6” - 12” in from the outside edge and 1’ - 3’ forward depending on what makes the best fit. I’d recommend ones that have a handle that allows you at least swivel them into position from underneath. Some allow you to adjust the height from underneath as, but that you’ll probably find you’ll set it once and leave it.

Taco Marine makes basic to mid level bases and outriggers, Gemlux and Rupp are mid level and up. Marsh Tacky makes high end outriggers only. You can mix and match bases and outriggers, just make sure that base and outrigger butt section are the matching size.

Note you will also need to think about where you are going to place your halyard tensioners. This is usually slightly aft of where the bases are mounted and on the top of the gunnel. Needs to somewhere easily accessible as this is where you will be operating the riggers from. Gemlux makes a suction mount if you have a smooth surface that will work and you want something removable.

Another consideration is rod holder configuration - which ones you will be using for the outriggers and which will be used for running rods straight to the gear. On my boat (30’ Pursuit), I have two rod holders on each side of the vertical hardtop stanchion that work well for the outriggers (top rod goes to the outer line). I can then run two more rods from the gunnel rod holders, plus hand lines from the rear cleats. On my buddy’s 30” Grady, he doesn’t have the stanchion rod holders, so we run the outrigger rods off the front two gunnel rod holders. It works OK, but a bit more prone to tangles when the bite is on. You could put the outer rod in the corner rocket launcher, but they can be a pain in the butt to get down with a fish on.
Thanks for the detailed information. Really helpful. If you have a couple of pics of your set up, would appreciate if you wouldn't mind posting or PM'ing me.

spend proper money on the releases. I found the cheap ones are not sensitive enough and either release to easy and you dont get a good hookset, or they dont release and it ends up ripping really hard on the outrigger without releasing. Then you have to bring it in and hand release with a fish ripping line through it. Buy extra chord and releases.

Thanks for the detailed information. Really helpful. If you have a couple of pics of your set up, would appreciate if you wouldn't mind posting or PM'ing me.
Apparently you can't attach photos in a PM so I've posted below. They should give you a good idea of how to set them up, but let me know if you want any more info or detailed pics and I can snap a few next time I'm down at the boat.

The first few show where the mounts are located on the hardtop (you can see the base in front of the life ring). On my boat the underside is incorporated into the stanchion for the hardtop. You can see the black handle which you use to swivel the outriggers out in the shot from the rear of the boat. IMG_5634.jpeg

Note in the picture below the outriggers are swivelled back in "travel mode". This creates extra slack in the halyards which is why there is an elastic band a few feet up from the bottom to keep everything tight together.
IMG_7658.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

Here's a pic from when we were using the same outriggers on my buddy's Grady. You can see how the rods are laid out using the gunnel rod holders - the forward two are running off the outriggers and the aft two are straight to the gear. Also note the halyard tensioners attached to the top of the gunnel. The tensioners are just a piece of shock cord with a clip at one end and a pulley on the other. You can get ones that will handle two halyards with one tensioner, and with built in locking mechanisms. We're running two in these pics because I couldn't get one of the fancy double ones before the first time we went out. One on each side has a locking mechanism and one is a basic pulley wheel; the latter gets a #10 rubber band wrapped around the halyard to keep it in place (otherwise it will work its way back in from the outer position).

IMG_3140 2.jpeg

Also found this picture when I was looking through my old photos for the ones above. I believe this is hull #1 of your boat built for RPM you can see the outriggers mounted on it. They, or Liquid Metal, could probably tell you what they used for outriggers and bases, and if they have any recommendations things they'd do different.

IMG_7608.jpeg

For release clips, I've had good luck with both the AFCO Roller Troller release clips and the basic Black's style clips. Both have adjustable tension. I just set them at the dock to what felt like a reasonable tug to get them to release and fine tuned from there if necessary.

And the best part of running outriggers is when the tuna hit and you get that BANG when it pops off! See tunas 1, 4, 7, 8 and 9 in the video below.

For release clips, I've had good luck with both the AFCO Roller Troller release clips and the basic Black's style clips. Both have adjustable tension. I just set them at the dock to what felt like a reasonable tug to get them to release and fine tuned from there if necessary.

And the best part of running outriggers is when the tuna hit and you get that BANG when it pops off! See tunas 1, 4, 7, 8 and 9 in the video below.
ha,ha,, got the west coast reach around. do you want me to put on your belt?

Back