outboard vs. inboard/outboard

I like sterndrives, my prefernce in a used boat. Keep up the maintenance and they run great. Fall behind in preventitive maintenace and they are a money pit. I do all the work on mine and find it relativally inexpensive, but if i had to pay someone it would put me in the poor house. Most of the maintenace is corrosion related. Salt water and electrical just cause problems. The best advice i can give is that a good seal on your engine cover that prevents any water dripping on the engine will save much greif.

I believe if any engine wether inboard or outboard is not maintained it will cause greif.

That said if i was to buy a new(used) boat i might consider an outboard if it was a newer fourstroke on a pod.

Last Chance got em all right. Saltwater gets into everything and there is a lot of iron and accessories on an inboard that cause trouble. I also like not having the hump in the floor to trip over. Had a friend take his lower unit off with a dead head. Got it all put back together and two months later a cratch in the paint on the oil pan caused it to rot through. another $1800.00 later it was fixed. he sold the boat and bought an outboard. Most outboards have a lot of stainless and aluminum.

As far as the Force. Run away and don't look back. Very poor motors. Boght a Trophy with one cause I liked the boat. I was pumping $400-$800 a shot keeping it running until I was going to replace it with a Mercury. I finally blew it up. Best day of my life-Literally. The 120 and 150s are real POSes.

. I have owned two in the past on two different boats trouble trouble more trouble.Cheap to buy though if you want to get going for cheap and plan on not staying going for long then hey go for it.

Back