Outboard motor life of 20 years?

Tikajack

Hello, I'm new to the forum.
I'm Looking for a 16 ft boat (Hourston, K&C, Double Eagle) with a 50 hp or 60 hp outboard - mainly for fishing and day trips. Most of what I see in my price range (~$6K) come with a 20 year old motor.
My question to those who know is:
Can I expect a longer life from a "reasonably maintained" motor that is 20 years old? For example, at 300km a car is generally done. What about an outboard motor. I realize it depends on the engine hours, but who can ever know the engine hours on a 20 year old O/B?
Thanks for any information or comments.
TikaJack

Problem is that old motors, usually 2 strokes burn lots of oil and gas and
are basically a time bomb.
I know there are some good runners out there, but can you really afford
taking the risk ?

Can I expect a longer life from a "reasonably maintained" motor that is 20 years old? For example, at 300km a car is generally done. What about an outboard motor. I realize it depends on the engine hours, but who can ever know the engine hours on a 20 year old O/B?
Thanks for any information or comments.
TikaJack

Sure you can. In fact engine hours on these motors are less important than what maintenance was applied. Two stroke motors last longer if they are run often. Fresh gas and oil is pumped throughout the internal components when the engine is run and this prevents many of the corrosion and wear issues you find on older motors.

A 20 year old motor is 1992. By 92 2-stroke outboards had advanced about as far as they could before the direct injection models came out closer to the year 2000. They had electronic ignition, loop charged induction and oil injection systems that were basically fool-proof.

When buying an older motor the most important thing to do is run a compression test. The motor must have even compression (within 10% on each cylinder) and over 100 psi. I'd feel better with more than 110 psi. If the compression is good and there is no obvious corrosion then take it for a on water test. If it runs good from idle to WOT then it is likely good to go.

Many outboards last for 40 years or more. In fact, one of my many 2-strokes is 32 years old and still runs pretty good for the little maintenance it has had. Age is not the issue but you need to determine what the actual condition of the motor is. It could have another 20 years left in it or it could be garbage after another 10 hours.

I would take a 30 year old 50-70 Johnson over a lot of the newer outboards

nope....if you think so i have a bridge foe sale too.

Agree-- remember you dont want it crapping out when you are alone...... my advice-- get as new a motor as possible AND GET IT CHECKED OUT THOROUGHLY before you put it in the water. (and consider a few more bucks for a "go home" motor (kicker) ) Run like hell away if it has a ski pole too.

An...depends on how it was used...I would much rather have a 20 year old outboard which has been flushed, well maintained, low 500 original hours at all kinds of rpms and not run hard than a 4 stroke which has not been flushed, well maintained, and run at 80 percent for 500 hours. buyer beware!!!!

lot's of opinions on this. still running my 92 yamaha 2 stroke "C" which requires 50-1 pre mix. i do the all the regular maintanence yearly and flush when arriving home. Run it up and down alberni canal every year to fish barkley sound, fish renfrew, sooke and halibut off of Victoria. might spend more on fuel and oil, but I well deal with it when IT happens ( packs it in). also have a good kicker on the back.

The kicker I used for the last few years is a 30 yr old merc. No where near as nice to run as a 4 stroke, in terms of smelly exhaust,smooth throttle response, noise etc. however, it runs all day, without missing a beat, and it's strong. This upcoming year, I could finally afford a 4 stroke, so it'll be passed on. I looked after it, and I agree with others, if its been looked after......
It doesn't mean they'll run for ever, it's still a crap shoot.

I have an '88 Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 for a kicker, it runs like a top. I've had it for 8 years and hasn't let me down, not even a hiccup. It gets about 80 to 100 hours use a year. It gets flushed regularily, oil changed annually (top and bottom) new water pump, plugs, and thermostat every second year. Fogged and gas treatment every fall.

I would take a 30 year old 50-70 Johnson over a lot of the newer outboards

THe 60 johnson on my DE is a mid to late 80's runs like a top. 132 compression on all three cylinders, fires up right away. its a machine.

on my old rig I had a new 75 yammy, it blew a coil with 130 hours, and fried an impellor shortly after. *shrug*

Lorne

THe 60 johnson on my DE is a mid to late 80's runs like a top. 132 compression on all three cylinders, fires up right away. its a machine.

Not as old but my 90hp Johnson (1997) on my past boat (17 double eagle) never failed me. Never needed my 4S kicker to get me home so kicker was only used to save hours on my main and save fuel/oil while trolling ( and piece of mind).

The only time I had a problem with the old Johnson was a water in fuel issue and the carb was fine after water was removed - not sure a fuel injector would have faired so well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as old but my 90hp Johnson (1997) on my past boat (17 double eagle) never failed me. Never needed my 4S kicker to get me home so kicker was only used to save hours on my main and save fuel/oil while trolling ( and piece of mind).

The only time I had a problem with the old Johnson was a water in fuel issue and the carb was fine after water was removed - not sure a fuel injector would have faired so well.

I'm very glad to hear that - I'm running a 1996 90hp Johnson on my DE. So far, so good.

Back