Outboard decision

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulM
  • Start date Start date
P

PaulM

I am looking at used outboards for my 14 foot aluminum boat that I use primarily for prawning and crabbing. I am trying to decide between a 2003 Mercury 9.9 4 stroke and a 95 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The Mercury is $350 more than the Yamaha. Power isn't an issue, I am wondering which is the best motor; even though the Yamaha is the older motor. Both owners report that the motors have been used in fresh water only and are well maintained

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 2 stk yamaha similar year 98 30 and i havent had any problems with it. But i would go for the merc if powers not an issue quieter more efficent ect. Is the yamaha oil injected?

go for an e-tech! both motors would be good, the merc might last longer tho being newer, and 4 strokes generally last longer than 2 strokes

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

Ask if the valves have been adjusted on the Merc 4 stroke and when the engine oil was last changed. I believe the valves have to be done around the 300hr mark. I have a 1999 Mariner (merc) 4 stroke and I absolutely love it for it's lack of vibration, quietness and being smokefree. Services are just pricier than 2 strokes.

quote:
I am looking at used outboards for my 14 foot aluminum boat that I use primarily for prawning and crabbing. I am trying to decide between a 2003 Mercury 9.9 4 stroke and a 95 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The Mercury is $350 more than the Yamaha. Power isn't an issue, I am wondering which is the best motor; even though the Yamaha is the older motor. Both owners report that the motors have been used in fresh water only and are well maintained

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for the advice. I just put a deposit on the Mercury.

Edited by - paulm on 01/25/2006 19:53:49

Back