Opinions from the best resource I know....you guys

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

Anyone who claims that new 2s are better fuel consumption than 4s is just kidding themselves. While you may be able to get slightly better on gas, you are not considering the oil consumption which is considerable. Not considerable in volume, just considerable in cost. Premium Mercury OPti-Maxd Gold synthetic is about $60 to $80 per gallon. Once you factor that into the equation the playing field is at least equal for the 4s and probably slightly better.

I run a injected 2s 200 and when it dies, its a Yamie 250 4s for me. No oil, no smell and an engine that you can talk over really appeals to me.
I pay $ 6.29/litre for Merc oil. How much does an oil change and filter cost every 100 hrs or so that a 4 stroke requires cost? That and the fact that the 4's are so much heavier (on the transom). I'm not switching anytime soom. :D

I have 10K tied up right now in 3 engines....the rebuilt 200 2 stroke with 2 seasons on it presently on the boat, a complete 0 hr rebuilt spare and a completely dissembled parts engine in a large tote. I can buy lots of oil to get up to the 60k (plus) for 3 200hp 4 strokes.

How much mix oil do you burn per 100 gallons
Oil change for me is about $85 that's Mercury oil and Mercury filter.No special discount. 225hp Mercury Saltwater

Back