Opinions/experiences/dealers Tohatsu Mid/High power outboards...

Oscar162

I've seen a handful of smaller Tohatsu outboards, but don't have any knowledge or experience associated with the larger ones. I see that some of them are rebranded Honda's... and some are specific to Tohatsu. I can't really find any negative reviews outside of some weight complaints. Seem to be big in other parts of the world... why not here? Seems like a great price/warranty.... any insight? Cheers, Oscar

I have a 2014 or 2015 (can’t remember which year exactly) 90hp two stroke on a 17’ Hourston, and I love it. It has been a great motor for us. It has a good hole-shot, enough that it’s good for recreational water-skiing. Its turning-radius is not quite as tight as the Yamaha 90hp we had previously, but it’s a very handy little motor, the 17’ really dances with it.

I bought it new from Otter Outboard (now closed) and at the time I believe it was almost $2700 less than a 90hp four-stroke yamaha. I actually wanted two-stroke because we water ski quite a bit.

The only issue for me now is convenient service. I am on the North Shore and there is no service/dealer near me (that I am aware of). As far as I am aware, the closest service place is Maple Marine in Langley. I’ve heard good things about them, but haven’t used them (yet) myself. I do my own basic maintenance and in the time I’ve owned the engine haven’t needed any bigger repairs.

Some other, minor items to be aware of:

1. My engine takes an oddball NGK Iridium spark plug which is a bit pricey (approx. $27 per plug) and not carried everywhere, but I’ve always been able to get them through Lordco.

2. The plastic cover which snaps around the leg, below the cowling, has discoloured a bit over the years. I don’t care about that but someone who is really fastidious about all aspects of their boat’s appearance might.

3. I was warned that the corrosion resistance on some of the minor components may not be as good. So far, mine’s been fine.

4. Sourcing parts locally is not as easy as for yamaha and mercury, but Tohatsu USA has a good online parts supply set-up. That is how I get my water pump kits, etc now.

My understanding is the engines up to 115hp are manufactured by Tohatsu and the bigger engines are manufactured under license by Honda. @ship happens would be able to confirm, I’m sure.

Tohatsu parts is absolutely the best in the industry for me as dealer level and that because of how they have their north american distribution. I wish the other OEMs would have their networks like that. Tohatsu is a great product and great company to work with. If anyone is in the lower mainland and needs product support there's myself and maple.

Since the shift in the industry in which we are still experiencing, there are some changes coming that most of you don't know. IMO it's still shifting since the oldest outboard manufacture and the inventer ( evinrude ) closed down. There's a huge piece of the pie wide open still. The other OEMs will soak it up, but between covid and all the other crap going on with US and China, it's a nightmare. Tohatsu is the oldest Japanese outboard manufacture.

The engines in the tohatsu line 150-250 are rebadged Hondas. We just had Honda Canada redo their agreement allowing the Canadian dealers to sell that lineup. Currently we're waiting on the engine tags to be remade showing EPA and metric units for Canada to be able to import them. It's all ********. But that's the skinny. Other then that qere also waiting on production as Honda is having a hard time just like everyone else. The small Hondas are made in China and not actually made by Honda. Those are going bye bye. They will now be manufactured by Tohatsu and rebbadged as Hondas.

On another note, I would 100 percent take a Tohatsu over a yamaha any day of the week on any level of engine. Based on dealer support and engine quality. It's like if you went to the store to buy a steak, rather then getting it right from the farmer. I'll bet you'll get a better deal from the farmer and he might actually have a nicer product.

Last edited:
Tohatsu parts is absolutely the best in the industry for me as dealer level and that because of how they have their north american distribution. I wish the other OEMs would have their networks like that. Tohatsu is a great product and great company to work with. If anyone is in the lower mainland and needs product support there's myself and maple.

Since the shift in the industry in which we are still experiencing, there are some changes coming that most of you don't know. IMO it's still shifting since the oldest outboard manufacture and the inventer ( evinrude ) closed down. There's a huge piece of the pie wide open still. The other OEMs will soak it up, but between covid and all the other crap going on with US and China, it's a nightmare. Tohatsu is the oldest Japanese outboard manufacture.

The engines in the tohatsu line 150-250 are rebadged Hondas. We just had Honda Canada redo their agreement allowing the Canadian dealers to sell that lineup. Currently we're waiting on the engine tags to be remade showing EPA and metric units for Canada to be able to import them. It's all ********. But that's the skinny. Other then that qere also waiting on production as Honda is having a hard time just like everyone else. The small Hondas are made in China and not actually made by Honda. Those are going bye bye. They will now be manufactured by Tohatsu and rebbadged as Hondas.

On another note, I would 100 percent take a Tohatsu over a yamaha any say of the week on any level of engine. Based on dealer support and engine quality. It's like if you went to the store to buy a steak, rather then getting it right from the farmer. I'll bet you'll get a better deal from the farmer and he might actually have a nicer product.

On another note, I would 100 percent take a Tohatsu over a yamaha any say of the week on any level of engine. Based on dealer support and engine quality. It's like if you went to the store to buy a steak, rather then getting it right from the farmer. I'll bet you'll get a better deal from the farmer and he might actually have a nicer product.
Thanks for the insight and education… what’s the scoop with the new 140 hp that recently came available?

Thanks for the insight and education… what’s the scoop with the new 140 hp that recently came available?

I have 3 out there on boats right now. Wicked build they did. They look great, they are easy to service and the price is right. I'm doing a twin installation when I return after the new year. Anyone is more than welcome to come have a first hand look at them.

Was surprised to hear, from a Tohatsu rep at the show today, that their outboards over 140 are unavailable in Canada at this time. I guess this explains some of why you don't see more of them around! Didn't really understand the reasoning why ... anyone care to shed some light?

Was surprised to hear, from a Tohatsu rep at the show today, that their outboards over 140 are unavailable in Canada at this time. I guess this explains some of why you don't see more of them around! Didn't really understand the reasoning why ... anyone care to shed some light?
It's coming. We had to get Honda Canada to allow for this. 150 and up are rebadged Hondas. The deal is done we are waiting on supply issues to work themselves out

It's coming. We had to get Honda Canada to allow for this. 150 and up are rebadged Hondas. The deal is done we are waiting on supply issues to work themselves out
So the super new Tohatsus are Hondas again? I thought they designed their own larger motor.( I knew the older ones were Honda built)

Back