Older outboards from 1997-2006

hey Englishman, glad to see your summer fishing improved. it is great to hear of your exploits. Plug indexing is a bit of a evinrude "characteristic" . It really just means having the open end of the plug facing the injector. When installing plugs mark the open end of the plug on the porcelain with a sharpie. When you install the plug the "index" (your sharpie Mark) needs to line up with the injector mark, give or take 30 degrees either way. Occassionally you will get a plug that will not line up and you need to try another one.

Most outboards benefit from indexing , but it is essential in Evinrudes.

Hope that helps , beemer

I understand now. Thanks Beemer.
Yes I had a great educational summer and I was fortunate enough to get three decent summer chinooks from Sooke waters in the end. This was all due to the tips, advice and encouragement I got from members on this forum. Not to mention a couple of "training trips" I was taken on by particularly helpful members! It has been great.
These fish all came as singles on separate trips, so my next milestone is to catch more than one summer chinook on a single trip....8-) I will practice on the winters but the summers and winters seem to behave so differently they might as well be different species. It's all fun though.....8-)

Back