Older outboards from 1997-2006

Peahead

Looking at boats in the US and many of them come with Yamaha and either Ox66 Saltwater series II , Saltwater Series II TXR ,and HPDI . I understand the Ox66 Saltwater series is a good older motor but what about the others ? How is the the 4 stroke fuel injected vs carborated 4 stroke?

Whats your thoughts on the 97 Johnson Oceanrunner 175 ? I have a 90 Johnson now ( not oceanrunner) and its been fantastic.

Any older outboards to absolutely stay away from ? Some say some of the Merc Optimax had problems ??

I bought a 1997 with a 2 stroke and looking back I should have just bought newer or bought a boat that was repowered already. My current 2 stroke burns nearly 2 times as much gas and oil as more current 4 strokes. My motor is a power house with hole shot and speed but i can't carry on a conversation while on cruise and I have to rely on friends to pitch in on gas. I know that if I was going to buy another boat I would aproach the purchase as if I were shopping for a motor that came with a boat rather than visa versa.

I bought a 1997 with a 2 stroke and looking back I should have just bought newer or bought a boat that was repowered already. My current 2 stroke burns nearly 2 times as much gas and oil as more current 4 strokes. My motor is a power house with hole shot and speed but i can't carry on a conversation while on cruise and I have to rely on friends to pitch in on gas. I know that if I was going to buy another boat I would aproach the purchase as if I were shopping for a motor that came with a boat rather than visa versa.

VERY interesting and valuable info MS. I appreciate your input because I have been thinking opposite:

Up till now I have been hunting for a quality hull (and layout ) that is in great shape. I have considered the power as something I can change/update later and perhaps repower with new. My thinking is that a good hull could be purchased at hull value if it had an old outboard on it. For example there is a 1998 226 grady SeaV2 hull with old but low hrs Oceanruner for 10 K US asking price. Finding that hull with a newish 4 stroke seems difficult to find and even if I did, perhaps repowering myself would be better way to go and not much more cost?.

Kinda look at it as similar comparison to buying property with an old dilapidated house on it that you may use temporarily. It would be the propery/location thats important .......you can then choose/build your new house on that property later on because you purchased the house/land at propery value only. Cost of removal is an added cost in both senarios .

I may change the way I approach this so great advice, thx again.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Peahead 10 G on that Grady is basically the value of the Hull anyways. Basically your paying peanuts for the power. What else comes with it? Trailor? Kicker? any electronics?

I'm running a 1997 200 Saltwater series 2 stroke. (carbed) great engine,lots of power and burn 10 gallons per hour at 30mph on a 22 Seasport. Quiet for a 2 stoke, in fact most customers think it is a 4 stroke until I tell them otherwise. If your going to buy a 2 stroke, stick with a carbed engine over fuel injection. Way more dependable for longevity.

The boat and price does seem like very good value. The prices have lowered from when I bought. ( at the time I wouldn't think it was possible) My thinking was exactly as your thinking now and I did buy a great hull. Unfortunalety, the repower has become a stretch due to life. My employment is less then stable lately and the wife wants to fix up the back yard. Hey, don't get me wrong I got out lots this year. I fished every weekend in July and August and had a couple of trips in June. I just wish I could fish more without the guilt and I would like to take my friends out without relying on thier fuel contribution. If thirty thousand is your budget and you found a good platform for ten do the repower asap and don't give the wife a chance to change the budget.

My rig has the original '95 200 Saltwater Series (carb) with low hours. Compression is almost to spec.
Gas 'mileage' has been pretty good and noise and smell are not too bad. The 0X66 are supposed to be even better. Don't think I would go Merc or OMC but that is just me. Love the Yammy
There are still 'older' Yammies at dealerships and repair shops (usually rebuilt or still in great shape) for sale at reasonable costs. Making for easy replacement.
Spending upwards of $20k on a new system is a big leap and, some guys are happy with piece of mind such a purchase is supposed to bring.
I see it as having the ability to have 3-4 engines in reserve for $20k. gl

Picked up my 1997 Grady 232 up with a 1997 OX66 250 Yammie...pretty happy with it.... burns about 55 litres a hour with a full load... :)

As Cheech says for a little money you can have spares with 2 strokes. I have 3K invested in a complete powerhead rebuild on the motor on the boat. (just finished its 3rd year since redone) I spent 1K to buy a 2nd engine and spent another 3K to have a complete powerhead rebuild on that engine...it has 0 hrs on it and is waiting in my garage for the day it is needed. I then spent another 1K for a 3rd runner which I tore completely apart and have it stored in a large tote...that is my own parts store. I now have a rebuilt spare in the event of a major blow up (including 3 complete gearcases) and parts on hand for any minor problem...no back orders at the dealer to worry about. I will never be down for more than a day. All for about 10K. As a charter operator I would have to spend 60K to have the same pieced of mind if I invested in a 4 stroke.

Yes that is right, the pistons used to cave in because they could not withstand the leaner conditions of the direct injections. Some were upgraded but if you hit one that slipped between the cracks, then you will have expen$ive trouble. Best to avoid them.

My engine is just outside the thread title date range but anyway....

The boat I bought last year came with a 2007 Evinrude E-Tec 175 with only 80 hours on it. It is now coming up to its 300 hours first service. Anyone know what I can expect on the cost of service and any other thoughts on the engine generally? (I'll be taking it to Sherwood Marine which is the only Evinrude dealer on the Island, as far as I know).

Parker Marine is an Evinrude dealer however their reputation has been somewhat tarnished lately.
Dave

I agree with Cheech and Profisher.
Lots of people claim that Saltwater Series Yamahas are "bulletproof"...
I'd say they are really good engines and can be bought inexpensively because of all the repowers to 4 strokes.

My engine is just outside the thread title date range but anyway....

The boat I bought last year came with a 2007 Evinrude E-Tec 175 with only 80 hours on it. It is now coming up to its 300 hours first service. Anyone know what I can expect on the cost of service and any other thoughts on the engine generally? (I'll be taking it to Sherwood Marine which is the only Evinrude dealer on the Island, as far as I know).

Great motor Englishman , you are probably gonna spend 5 bills for your service and diagnostic. Make sure you get your diagnostic printout from your computer , it tells you a great deal about how your engine is living its life and how you can extend it. As I am sure you know always run xd100 in etecs and make sure your plugs are indexed. Dustin at Sherwood knows more about rudes than anyone around and he makes sure you get treated right.

beemer

Particularly the V6 -models were very bad for blowing power heads
That was true with the 150's and 175's but not so much with the larger V-6's. I have a '99 200 Evinrude Ficht with 600 hours and it is a strong and reliable motor (so far). It has always had XD-100 or Quicksilver Gold synthetic and so far so good. What it isn't is economical once you include the cost of the the synthetic oil. When I re-power, its a Yamie 250 fourstroke no question.

That was true with the 150's and 175's but not so much with the larger V-6's. I have a '99 200 Evinrude Ficht with 600 hours and it is a strong and reliable motor (so far). It has always had XD-100 or Quicksilver Gold synthetic and so far so good. What it isn't is economical once you include the cost of the the synthetic oil. When I re-power, its a Yamie 250 fourstroke no question.

Hey finaddict , might be a little bit of overkill running xd100 instead of xd50. Your oil injection setting for a 99 is set fairly high by your computer , so you will be gulping a lot of that liquid gold unnessasarily. xd 100 was introduced when the etecs were came out and the oil setting are a much lower flow rate. But hey , if your engine is happy it may be worth it!

beemer

Hey finaddict , might be a little bit of overkill running xd100 instead of xd50. Your oil injection setting for a 99 is set fairly high by your computer , so you will be gulping a lot of that liquid gold unnessasarily. xd 100 was introduced when the etecs were came out and the oil setting are a much lower flow rate. But hey , if your engine is happy it may be worth it!

beemer
Thanks Beemer, I agree. I could use XD-50, but the guy who owned it before me always use the Quicksilver gold synthetic so I have not strayed away from that. The reputation of these motors keeps me using the expensive stuff ;)

Great motor Englishman , you are probably gonna spend 5 bills for your service and diagnostic. Make sure you get your diagnostic printout from your computer , it tells you a great deal about how your engine is living its life and how you can extend it. As I am sure you know always run xd100 in etecs and make sure your plugs are indexed. Dustin at Sherwood knows more about rudes than anyone around and he makes sure you get treated right.

beemer

Thanks for the tips Beemer. Motor has certainly been good so far. Starts with first turn of the key every time! Yes, I do run the XD100 synthetic. (This oil is expensive but I use so little per trip, it is not a significant cost at all, even when I troll with this motor and do not switch to the kicker). I will certainly ask for the diagnostic print out - never thought of that.
However, I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "make sure your plugs are indexed".
English

Back