Oil Changes & Yamalube

Baxter

Hi All,

I need to do my Yamaha F90, 20 hour service this weekend, and the 20 hour service on a 9.9 probably the following weekend.

Question is about Yamalube 10w-30. Do I have to use this in order to keep warranty valid? Sounds like I can't use any 10w-30, but are there other marine oils that are warranty approved? Where do you get the best deal on your marine oil? Canadian Tire? Lordco? Do they even sell it? Dealers? NAPA? Others?

Going to go about doing this myself - a bit of a learning curve but worth it consider the $$$ I'll save in the long run!

Thanks!

You will get all kinds of replies, but I have always used Penzoil or Castrol 10w-30
in my 4 stroke outboards with no issues
Ya, I thought of that after, I bet I get 20 different responses.

I think what I will do is stick with the Yamalube oil while under warranty, then switch to something else - don't want to give Yamaha anything to point to should something go wrong.

My brother in law was saying he uses some oil meant for diesel trucks in his F115 , has for years, with zero issues. Doesn't seem right to me, but I am no expert that's for sure!

The only gas power oil that is specific to an application is motorbike motor oil many have a wet clutch and there is an additive that keeps the clutch working properly. Otherwise if it meets all the specifications which are listed on each container of oil...use the oil of the right weight that is on sale. I watch the Can Tire and Walmart flyers and stock up for my vehicles when the price is good.

I would use marine oil only to the specs required in your owner manual. Keep receipts and documentation. Marine oil has a specification FC-W which supposedly is for harsh marine environment. Lots of discussion about it online however to be safe use only oil that meets yamaha specification. And you probably know this however use new drain plug seals for motor and lower unit everytime.

I agree with blindmonkey. Yamaha cannot void your warranty if you use a non-Yamaha marine oil that meets your engine's specs and change it within their recommended intervals. I would stick with FC-W oil as blindmonkey says. Apparently this oil is able to retain its lubricating capabilities even when partially diluted by fuel (I think up to about 7% fuel). This can be very important in outboard engines that run cold and sometimes let some fuel past the rings and into the crankcase.

Samples of Suzuki and Yamaha marine branded oil were sent off to Blackstone labs for testing. Short answer, both of them turned out to be pretty standard automotive oils. No special additives, no extra dose of zinc or phosphorous to combat wear or saltwater. Automotive standards allow up to 800 parts per million of both, and neither oil even had that. Yamaha had a nice dose of moly, but no more than what is found in Chevron Supreme or yellow bottle Penzoil.

I'm sure Yamalube is a good product, but you pay $10.00 a litr
I get Castrol on sale for $20.00 for 5 litres

I asked a Yamaha mechanic what he uses in his own Yamaha. He says "Castrol 10/30". A certified Yamaha dealer mechanic will more than likely tell you you must use Yamalube but of course that would be expected when they are a Yamaha dealer. I had looked into this so called "saltwater environment additive" that Yamalube and other "marine" oil apparently has in it - well what I found was interesting. I cannot locate article now but basically it compared a couple of "marine grade" oils with other regular vehicle oils for its ability to lubricate and handle use in the saltwater environment. The test showed metal parts and what they looked like afterwords..... plus other criteria and the Yamalube was actually average. The regular vehicle oils did quite well.... such as the Penzoil and Castrol did as well or better than the Yamalube!

Like I noted earlier lots of discussion regarding FC-W online. However while under warranty I would not vary from manufacturer specs or oil filters. After warranty period choose what you like.

Back