O/B to kicker O/B steering arm

Iv'e had a couple people stop by and ask were I got the brackets for my motors.
Im sure im not the first to get frustrated by aftermarket crap that won't work the way you would like it to.
135 merc O/B...to fast to troll with...to a 9.9 honda 4 stroke on a kicker bracket.
My son (Fisher_Dude) and I had an Idea on how to make it work right.
After all O/b's are a pain in the butt to hook anything up to ..as im sure anyone reading this fully understands.
Well...we made it work...and work it does...Id like to say any combination is possible...I think it is?
Simple....some balance is required as well as a flotaion device if your not to agile?
Let me know what you think....

After all...it's about fishermen helping fishermenboat steering rod 001.jpgboat steering rod 004.jpgboat steering rod 002.jpgboat steering rod 003.jpgboat steering rod 005.jpg

Nice easy steer set-up. I like the extension on the main making it more accessable to hook up. I think the next project though is to add an extra foot or two to the driveway!

Lookin' good!

Another thing you can do is hook up from the front of the moters as well so you dont have to reach sooo far....good looking system the only thing I can suggest to add is a rope tied off or a float on your bar if it ever comes off etc it will float for retrieval

Another thing you can do is hook up from the front of the moters as well so you dont have to reach sooo far....good looking system the only thing I can suggest to add is a rope tied off or a float on your bar if it ever comes off etc it will float for retrieval
X2 on the front mounts instead of rear mounts. I have the same extension and the universal ball mount mounts directly to the engine. Substantially safer to connect when out at sea, and you don't have to worry about adding the float. If it falls off it falls into the motor well.

Hi MWS,
Where did you get the quick release ball joint rod ends? I have looked around Langley here with no luck. I was going to buy some stainless ones online but would rather buy local. FYI, the price online was $18 each end. Thanks in advance.

If you tilt a kicker up for travelling, it is handy to have the length of the bar adjustible. You need a stainless steel outer pipe and the inner has to be grooved every inch on a lath, presuming it is a solid bar. You then need a spring clip folded over and tacked onto the outer bar, to "catch" the grooves, so that the clip locks the bar length. When you need to change length, simply pull up on the spring clip and slide. Otherwise, I am impressed. Not too many guys have such nice ball joints or brackets for the motor mount.

Drewski

Hi MWS,
Where did you get the quick release ball joint rod ends? I have looked around Langley here with no luck. I was going to buy some stainless ones online but would rather buy local. FYI, the price online was $18 each end. Thanks in advance.

Try:

Fastenal

or

Greggs Distributers. may have some luck at either.

I hate my EZ-steer. Connecting it on the water is just dangerous. I would like one that connects on the front to both engines.
The Stearns one does, right? But how do you connect it to the main when you have Seastar hydraulic steering.

Check this out......... http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/

Once you've tried this Teleflex kicker tie bar system you'll wonder how you ever survived with any other solution. It's expensive, but, having to connect my kicker bar off the west coast a few times to my main in some ugly weather convinced me my life was worth the $ 400. Connects directly to your Sea Star hydraulic system from the front on your engine. It is permanently connected. Install and leave it. No manual intervention. You can lift your motor any time, and, steers like a dream because you're leveraging your existing hydraulics.

I have seen that before but I find the website weak as to what is actually going on. I can't find an installation manual anywhere or any photos of what it exactly consists of.

Teleflex looks good, but it costs around $375 US. Look here http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63773.

Mine is the same as "Money Well Spent" except I hooked up my 8 HT Yam to the 200 Merc on the front . Other than the ball connectors and the quick releases, made the rest out of aluminum flat bar and stainless steel rod. When I travel I disconnect the motors to lift the kicker, but that is not a problem, I dont have to hang over the back of the boat to disconnect them. Works well and was cheap.

Attachments

• 100_0281a.jpg
    100_0281a.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 122
X2 on the front mounts instead of rear mounts. I have the same extension and the universal ball mount mounts directly to the engine. Substantially safer to connect when out at sea, and you don't have to worry about adding the float. If it falls off it falls into the motor well.

I've got front mounts too. S&G Power set the system up when I bought my kicker from them. I can't imagine hooking it up at the back of the motors, while on the water!

Teleflex looks good, but it costs around $375 US. Look here http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63773.

Mine is the same as "Money Well Spent" except I hooked up my 8 HT Yam to the 200 Merc on the front . Other than the ball connectors and the quick releases, made the rest out of aluminum flat bar and stainless steel rod. When I travel I disconnect the motors to lift the kicker, but that is not a problem, I dont have to hang over the back of the boat to disconnect them. Works well and was cheap.

Man, that looks good, make me one. I'll make it worth your while...my wife is really hot!

We tried to figure out something for my boat with the o/b and the kicker....big merc and kicker was a pain in the butt as stated....inside mounts...brackets ...nobody makes....it's all custom.....for my application...as im sure there are lots of others out there....this outside one works.........if anyone has an idea on an inside motorwell....with an outside kicker bracket....I'll play with any idea (Fisher_dude) has to play with the tig tho...my eyes are done....lol
This is going to be an interesting topic as im sure there of lots of ideas.....maybe we can all come up with something and contribute to a good cause?

Take a Photo of your transom motor set-up so we can see what we have to deal with. Will make it easier to come up with a fix.

Looks like a lot better and safer than my ex-steer. I switched from a kicker bracket to a pod for my kicker how will that work? One reason I switched to a pod is having something solid to stand one while reaching back to connect the ez-steer. A little more money for telflex system but looks like it is worth the money. No more trying to connect when the boat is rocking, not having to raise both motors to connect amd unconnect and always connected looks like a win win situation.

The Teleflex system works with more offset on the engines than a mechanical tie bar. Thats another advantage of it. In fact, you will see the cable/tie bar comes in various lengths to deal with larger off sets. Think of it as a fly by wire type solution. The prime considertion is motor turning radius. If you have 25-30 inches center on center main to kicker, you should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi MWS,

Sorry. Should have recommended :

New Line Hoses And Fittings. Check their first...

Back