North king Lodge

ILHG

Crew Member
hey guys I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with this. I want to bring my best buddy on a westcoast fishing trip. He has been going through some tough times & I know it would be a good distraction.

I would love to bring him up to a lodge at Haida Gwaii, but I already have a trip booked for myself this year & can't afford to bring him up a for a second trip.

I was looking online & came across north king lodge. It looks like a cool place.

My question is if anyone has any feed back on this lodge?

Thanks!

I can offer my opinion - I was there in 2012 for a 3 day trip. While getting there was a little bit frustrating on our trip due to weather, I think that they have improved on transportation since I was there. We tried to fly out of Port Hardy but ended up taking a water taxi out of Bella Bella to finally get to Borrowman Bay. I believe they now use a HeliJet service. I will say that when we got up there we were made to feel welcome and the lodge is (floating barge) is quite nice. This is a very remote location and can be subject to weather. Accommodation was good and the food was spectacular. The boats are made for fishing. We were issued our own boat and guided ourselves. They gave us a laminated map that identified common fishing holes. Boats are 16-18 welded alum. with 4-stroke power outfitted with electric down riggers. North King provided a small cooler everyday with herring for cut plugging which was nice. I think I would bring some selection of tackle because they do not provide flashers or spoons on the boat but just mooching hook set ups. You can buy gear at the lodge but the mark up was a bit much. Im sure if you were on a guided charter they would have lots of selection.
When the weather co-operated we went offshore (1hr run) and bottom fished at a reef. I couldn't drop my jig to the bottom with hitting fish with it on the way down. It was beyond cool. Also helped a guy land a 110lb halibut which was cool.
Salmon fishing can be productive and I lost what I think was my biggest salmon in the last hour of fishing. I still quiver when I think about it.
We did good on halibut as well which was 10 min run from the lodge.
The Owner of the lodge is working on every turn around to make sure that everyone is comfortable and may be the hardest working person there.

Hope that helps.

I have never stayed there so i cant comment on the amenities but I regularly see their guide boats out when we are fishing. Seems like the guides know their stuff. They are located in a great spot to hit all the migratory fish going by (it's why we fish out there). The weather can get ugly sometimes but you will get that anywhere and there is always somewhere to hide and still get into fish.

Thanks for the feed back guys

Same experience for me regarding weather, was 2010. Helicopters take care of getting guests there now. Back when it was possible my son ( 14yrs old at the time) landed a 116 pound halibut.
Lodge was great, boats were great. Fishing on your own is what I liked, sunrise to sunset if you want.
Would recommend, thinking of going back soon.

Back