NORTH COAST 2024–PART III—-GOT MACGYVER?

Sharphooks

Every year when preparing for these long trips I agonize over what to bring and what not to bring. I'm not talking about fishing gear or food or booze---it’s tools and spare parts, also known as weight management
My rules of engagement for any kind of long term presence on the water---spare propellers, spare anchor and spare chain. Those items are an absolute given. In a boat my size that's a lot of weight so I try and trim the non essentials

So speaking of tools...the big question has always been—-what do I bring as an absolute minimum?

This summer, two weeks into the trip, my Lewmar windlass crapped out. I had brought a multimeter and confirmed I was getting voltage to the solenoid. I was getting an audible click when pushing the power button but the windlass was dead.

So there I was, a survivor of multiple herniated disks from past bad behaviors, hand-pulling a 15 kg Rocna and 50 feet of chain 3 or 4 times a day. I consoled myself knowing I had lots of Advil on board but the sciatica was already tapping me on the shoulder.

Then one day I free-spooled the windlass to get the anchor down to the bottom in a hurry. When it was time to pull, by chance I pushed the power button, forgetting it was dead. The windlass fired up for about three seconds then went back to dead. What the heck?

So i went up to the bow and stuck my head in the anchor locker (something I should have done when it first crapped out) . The installer (and I'm not making this up) had zip-tied both the power and ground cable directly ACROSS the mouth of the hawse pipe below the gypsy —- The rode had sawed the ground cable almost in half. That 3 second power-up had been caused (probably) by the ground cable getting jostled just enough by the rode and chain on their free-fall which served to produce a momentary proper circuit. What were the chances of that????

I tell this story because yes, I had left behind all my electrical stuff when packing for the trip---all my bullet connectors, bits of wire, electrical tape, wire strippers etc etc and it was abundantly clear that I desperately needed approximately 6 inches of 10 AWG ground cable and a couple of bullet connectors to repair and properly ground the circuit

So I put on my MacGyver hat.....what would Macgyver do?

This is what got me through the rest of the trip:
IMG_2492.jpeg

I had a one inch section of ground cable to work with in very tight quarters. It took me at least 45 minutes to get those crimps in place but you can imagine the rush of pleasure I got when I got power back into that windlass!

This is what I did once I got back to my dock and had access to the tools and parts I left behind:

IMG_2561.jpeg

MacGyver No 2: Dyneema thread… don’t leave home without it!

A three strand rode to anchor splice will not go smoothly through my gypsy so for the last few years I’ve been using a two strand splice. This is all about expediency and dealing with the spectre of boating solo—every trip up to the bow to free a stuck three-strand splice that’s skipping in the gypsy because it’s too bulky I see as one more potential exposure incident and I try to minimize those …. Boating solo is all about planning your moves to minimize uneccessary exposure…a two strand splice goes through a Lewmar gypsy like shiat through a goose

But the two strand splice means your’re now relying on 2/3 rds of the B.S, of your original 3 strand rode and what I’ve got in my boat is soft—/ very prone to abrasion

Out comes the Dyneema thread… wonderful stuff….MacGyver would not have left home without it. Without sounding melodramatic, I’m not sure I could have done the trip without Dyneema thread…or at least made it home with my trusty 15 kg Rocna

IMG_2530.jpeg
I was up in Nepean Sound in a bay one night and just happened to scrutinize my two strand splice——yikes, the rode was almost sawed in half—-my 15 kg Rocna was hanging by a thread…I figure it happened on the anchor roller—-there is a sharp flange on either side and apparently I hadn’t let enough rode out to get the splice past those sharp edges on a lunch or a dog-to-the-beach hook.

So I was forced to re-splice while free drifting in my boat…not my favorite thing to do. It got lumpy, I got impatient and ended up doing a bit of a sloppy job but I got it done. But just to seal the deal, I went nuts with the Dyneema. In retrospect, that was the right move. That night all the reports were calling for 25 - 30 from the S.E.. I chose what I thought was the perfect anchorage to make it through the night based on that outlook. At midnight, my anchorage went from a bit blowy to instant 4 foot rollers —-the wind had veered North East and I was 100% exposed for 7 straight hours to big wind with lots of fetch—-a major rodeo event with the bow bucking at least 5 -6 feet in the air all evening long…huge stress on the anchor splice and having to deal all night with a dog giving me stink eye….Dude, why did you anchor all prepared for a S.E. Blow when even I knew it would veer to N.E….are you stupid????

The next morning, I genuflected at the altar of DYneema thread—-the Rocna never left it’s original position and my splice looked fresh as a daisy

IMG_2529.jpeg

Last edited:
Spectra rode with some chafe protection next year? Splice could be full strength since it's thinner?

It’s funny you brought that up, tubber. When I got back to the ranch I investigated Dyneema rode after the chaffing issues I had with nylon. They say Dyneema has more elasticity than Spectra and with the Dyneema rode adverts I’ve seen, they recommend putting a minimum of 75 feet (!!) of regular three strand nylon between your chain and the Dyneema for “shock absorption” ….that’s just about how much total rode + chain I throw out on a normal anchorage (30 - 40 feet of nylon rode behind my 50 feet of chain) so…..apparently, no soap on the hi-tech rode approach

Okay. It definitely would lose elasticity, I only know my 17 foot whaler with a $20 anchor and 80 foot seine boats with 500lb anchors and piles of chain and steel cable,
Love your tales of the areas we used to visit occasionally. Did you get to Hartley Bay? Our crew lost a b-ball game to the locals a million to 25. I got 24.

Hey tubber,…yes, Hartley Bay is always one of my favorite stops. The people are really nice and they just spent a squadrillion dollars (or I should say the Province did) to create a long nature trail that gets you way back into the bush —-a good walk with the dog and always nice to get off the boat for a bit….I found out this year the nature trail is just a by-product of what will be a large hydro project to generate power for the town. They’re damming the Gabion River. I met a couple of RCMP dudes who told me the amount of diesel fuel they burn each winter for heat …the amount of liters they burned made my eyes glaze over and I understood how they had rationalized a hydro project right in the middle of Spirit Bear country….meanwhile, that sounded like it must have been a hell-uva b-ball game!!!

Last edited:
Hey tubber,…yes, Hartley Bay is always one of my favorite stops. The people are really nice and they just spent a squadrillion dollars (or I should say the Province did) to create a long nature trail that gets you way back into the bush —-a good walk with the dog and always nice to get off the boat for a bit….I found out this year the nature trail is just a by-product of what will be a large hydro project to generate power for the town. They’re damming the Gabion River. I met a couple of RCMP dudes who told me the amount of diesel fuel they burn each winter for heat …the amount of liters they burned made my eyes glaze over and I understood how they had rationalized a hydro project right in the middle of Spirit Bear country….meanwhile, that sounded like it must have been a hell-uva b-ball game!!!

They've been talking about that hydro project for years....I stayed a few nights in the community for work about 7 years ago and it was being discussed back then. They are very good about working through the process to establish projects and get funding.

If they can get to the point of turning off the gensets it will be so beautifully quiet there.

Back