Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

I hear that they have showed up on the inside. Also the macks are well down this year, or so the story goes. I will be with the old man and brother Thursday - Sunday at Critter next week in one of the big cabins(you will hear us - we like to have a good time :rolleyes: ). Come by for a pop or happy to team up and head outside if anyone wants to go to the highway. Pumped for the annual slay fest!!! Feel like a kid on the 20th of Dec.!! Just another week.... Are we there yet?!

Hey coho chinook, family and I are in sooke for a few days then maybe we will join you in Nootka , I will give your cell a call

Shepnoir, will also be at critter from thurs to sunday next week. Ill be staying at the small cabins. Will pop by and say hi. Ill be in a 19' boston whaler revenge. Was out fishing last weekend in nootka, fishing at the lighthouse and bajo was really good for springs. Dont have to worry about coho theres tons everywhere.

Big group of us heading up to Esperanza July18-21, thanks for all the reports... Have a good idea where to fish now. We're planning on bringing up the prawn traps, hows the prawning? Would love to hear of a few spots to try.

Any point in bringing the crab traps, or have the sea otters taken care of that possibility?

Cheers and good fishin!

Heading up on the the 25th for our annual trip, Hope to here some more good news and we will report when we get back to civilization.

Mike

We're up there the 18th to 21st at Critter Cove. First time fishing Nootka and we are fired up. We're in the Arima Seachaser in one of the cabins. Gonna be a good weekend!

Just got back tonight from Critter Cove. Fished Friday to this morning. Only got off shore one day. It was too rough most days. The day we went to Bajo we got one nice Spring. Couldn't keep the hos off the line though. Bit of a nuisance. We spent two days at Wash Rock before regs changed today. Had good action with Springs most 23 lbs or thereabouts. A few hos there as well but not like outside. We moved around inside most days covering everything you can imagine. Hoiss, san Carlos, Camel etc. We had varying degrees of success inside. But, this morning things turned on inside from what we saw. We boxed 2 Springs before 0800 and lost a freight train. We didn't see any mackeral at all

Just got back tonight from Critter Cove. Fished Friday to this morning. Only got off shore one day. It was too rough most days. The day we went to Bajo we got one nice Spring. Couldn't keep the hos off the line though. Bit of a nuisance. We spent two days at Wash Rock before regs changed today. Had good action with Springs most 23 lbs or thereabouts. A few hos there as well but not like outside. We moved around inside most days covering everything you can imagine. Hoiss, san Carlos, Camel etc. We had varying degrees of success inside. But, this morning things turned on inside from what we saw. We boxed 2 Springs before 0800 and lost a freight train. We didn't see any mackeral at all

cool ...will let you know how we do...heading up this morning.. :)

cool ...will let you know how we do...heading up this morning.. :)

Heading to Critter on July 23, 5 night stay.
Will report when we return.
Have done really well there the last couple of years, especially at Bajo Reef.
If we are lucky the weather holds and the winds lighten up a little.

Fished Nootka area July 12-14,Friday fished the lighthouse with very little activity,buzzed over to Burdwood and there were a lot of ho's,ran into Salter Pt from there for the evening fish and landed three springs,a couple of teeners and a 20.

Sat. am off to Bajo and it was a ho fest,non stop and you have to work hard for the hatch but it was doable, landed a couple of springs and some bottom fish.Came in and fished Salter again for the evening and landed another teen spring

Fished the reef again on Sunday am,it was snotty weather wise,same same as Saturday lots of hjo's,didnt seem to matter at all what you threw at them they would bite anything

We did well with Purple Haze gear

Good trip overall,lot's of activity and we took home some beautiful fish

RCMP were at the launch in Gold River Sunday on the way home,they didn't check us out but he was sniffin out a few people

Late report...fished out of Cougar Creek 11th to 13th. Was tough getting outside in my little 17 footer, so day one we mostly stayed in sheltered waters. Found two chinook at friendly cove. 12 & 18 lbs. Not many coho until you're outside the boundary for retaining the wild ones. Lots of chinook smolts. Tried going deep to avoid them but they were everywhere.

Day two (Fri) found a small Hali and half descent lingcod a few miles out from Maquinna before we started feeling woozy and headed inside. Decided to try for coho. We went to Discovery Pt on the south side of the sound. Fished the small piece of shoreline between the closure and wild retention boundary. What a hoot..had 5 coho in the box in no time. Decided to save the last 3 slots for springs in the evening, but no luck at friendly, strange, or camel rock.

Day 3 (Sat) went outside to Bajo. Coho mania out there. They were even coming up and hitting the downrigger clips if they were dragging in the water. Managed two nice chinook in low 20s early on, and managed four hatch hoes in the 25-30 that we got. Went and found a nice 37lb hali and another smaller 10-12ish and called it a trip and headed in.

Not a single mackerel for us!!

Fishing for Nootka Lodge from 13th to 17.

13th fished Wash and Lighthouse several Springs up to 33 pounds.

14th started at Bean but did not see much so we headed for Bajo before the wind came up. Caught 6 springs up to 27 pounds and sorted thru a syhte load of wild to get our 8 hatchery. The wind came up at 1400 and blew us off. 4 springs on the 6 inch Irish Cream at 60 feet.

15th no more Lighthouse as its closed so did Burdwood. Not real hot but caught some nice Springs. We ended up with 3 spings and 4 coho.

16th what a day on the Reef. The wind finally died down offshore and it was good until 1500. 6 spings up to 25 pounds but most under 20 and sorted thru the Coho and ended up with 6. The other boat with me had his 6 by 1300. Between both of us 10 springs on the Irish cream at 50 feet.

Half day tomorrow so it will be a Burdwood show until noon.

Fishing for the Hole In The Wall 18th to 20th so it will be an offshore show. I'll try and post the results when I'm done.

can someone please give me a rough idea how long of a run it is to bajo reef from the gold river launch (assuming flat calm)? usually cruise around 30mph.

Don't assume it will be flat. It took us 30 minutes last Friday to get from Bajo to the Lighthouse. I'd give yourself an hour and fifteen given usual conditions.

Don't assume it will be flat. It took us 30 minutes last Friday to get from Bajo to the Lighthouse. I'd give yourself an hour and fifteen given usual conditions.

it will be my third time in 5 years in gold river. Just myself and my dad in his boat (17ft double eagle). We'll see how the weather looks but from previous posts it sounds like we might be staying on the inside.

I saw a guy on Friday at Bajo in a 17 ft DE. Weather was not great, but, he was out there. I also saw someone in an open 16-18 ft aluminum boat (Springbok). That guy was rolling the dice. From the results we had Monday on the inside, you shouldn't need to go offshore unless you're looking for white meat. The fish we caught on the inside were all silver fresh fish. Good luck....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to Bajo a couple times in my 16ft DE. Pick your days and plan on being back around noon before the wind shows up!

Flattest day of the year today outside. Hit the Hwy first thing and by 1100 we had 30 springs that went into the cooler between the 4 boats. Once we found the bait out there is was full on as long as you followed it. Nothing tyee size but nice fish the gave a really good scrap. I didn't tag out like the rest of them did and save 2 spots for a big one. After a few hours we got one that took over the lead in the guys derby.

The Reef was crazy with Coho and a few good springs later today where we ended our day.

Looks like more wind tomorrow but we will give it a shot until we get blown off.

Back