New Toy!

IronNoggin

Finally!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Although I had my Excalibur Exomax dressed pretty much exactly the way I wanted her, and was downright impressed with it's performance last year, I couldn't help but drool when they released the new Matrix series last December. So impressed by the initial reviews, it took me but moments to make up my mid... I HAVE to have one!! LOL!

So, I carefully went through the safe and selected out a couple "Queens" I hadn't had out in a considerable while, and to my surprise, they sold literally within moments of posting them. Then one of my good Hunting Partners decided he had been thinking and chatting about joining us in the pointy stick pursuit long enough and that he wanted the Max. Gave him a hell of a deal for several reasons, one he's a Good Friend, and two, if I ended up not liking the new bow (did I actually ever consider that?) the Exomax would be nearby and I might possibly wheedle a little more use of it...

With the jingle in hand, I merrily placed my order through The Missuz' shop. I was prepared for a delay, the response to the new series was overwhelming, and the initial 500 were sold out in mere days. Likely a month was what the sales rep informed...

Over that month I read every single review I could find, watched every single video on the new Matrix, and became downright immersed in all things crossbow I could dredge up on the net. The vast majority of the reviews were positive, and I jealously poured over the shooting reports! Lazar Accurate, Blistering Speeds, how various arrows performed, various weights, and various heads...
But there were also a few not-so-great reports, and I anguished over these - apprehensive at my decision, and hoping that I had made (for me) the right one...

There were many distractions through the waiting period, sausage makin', cold smokin' tuna, pigs to be butchered and even a lamb. But near every "free" second found me once again pouring over the reviews once again as I pined away for it to arrive...

Got The Call yesterday... And am Damn Surprised I didn't collect several tickets on the way to the shop!

Upon arrival, we were presented with a rather tiny box to be holding a bow... but the label read Excalibur, and my already Pounding Heart kicked up a notch or two. Want to show it off to the Boss she asked with a coy smile? NOPE! There will be plenty of time for that down the road!

Even Faster Tracks on the way back home, had the Big Dawg's jowls just a flappin' in the wind!

Before any assembly I went over the entire rig extremely carefully. Some of the naysayers actually had me a little concerned (Oh Foolish Me!). Not a single blemish to be found ANYWHERE! Limbs are as perfect as they could possibly be, same with the rail, stock, every single accessory, and even as far as every single bolt! Excellent!!

Assembly was easy, like the various pieces WANTED to join, and within but a short time she stood in all her Beauty! Awesome to me!

Now at Last Light, I wandered outside (my neighbors are used to this kind of thing) and to my delight, the scope was Blistering clear, had Good Eye relief, and was damn near begging for me to use it for it's intended purpose right then and there!!

Back inside, I immediately switched out the factory string for one of Boo's Marvelous Custom Creations! aYup! THAT well suits the bow!

A few First Impressions:

- Incredibly small for such Awesome Power! I stood her back to back with the Exomax, and wondered at the comparison! SO much Narrower, SO much Shorter, and SO much Lighter it wasn't to me even fair to compare!

- She comes to the shoulder as light as a feather - Oh what a FIT!

- The scope's picture is immediately clear. Even intentionally out of alignment, I had NO problem centering it's crosshairs! The two types of illumination are both good, and the crosshairs without them are very easy to read!

- When cocking and changing strings I was more than Pleasantly Surprised! Yes, I can do extended periods at the range with this one methinks!

- Love the grips fore and aft! The balance is Perfect, and these fairly help. VERY very stable bow for offhand shooting methinks!

Overall I'd rate it as a 10 out of 10. Couldn't be Happier at this present moment! Well worth the month and change wait!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Although impressed with the scope I'll be swapping that out sometime this spring. Gonna go to an HHA Optimizer and a rifle scope for the summer's Fun. For huntin' this fall - Jury's still out on just which one...

Only a tad better than half way on the sausage makin', and now have a Lamb hanging that I've got to deal with in the next day or two. New target makings have long been ignored, guess I know what this afternoon has in store for me...
And thinking those last runs of sausage can sit a bit more!
icon_lol.gif

Simply can not wait to get the new Baby out for a stroll!!
icon_twisted.gif

I'll toss up a picture or two in the next couple of days, and let ya'll know just what she shoots like soon. Expect to be getting to that shortly now methinks. And with that, I'm off to put together a new target bag!!

MATRIX%20380%20XTRA3.jpg

Cheers!
Nog

So... yesterday I stuck the new target bag into the truck, and wandered down Island to hook up with my Hunting Buddy and our Rancher Friend for an afternoon of Fun. And FUN it was!

My Partner had presented the Rancher with a new crossbow, had purchased my Exomax, and of course I drug along the new Matrix. So all three of us had toys to try out for the first time!

A few pictures comparing the Exomax to the Matrix:

Side_By_Side_4.jpg

Side_By_Side_7.jpg

The day before I had taken an old (large) grain bag the Rancher had provided, stuffed around 100 pounds of various rags and old clothing (carefully cutting all buttons and zippers off) into it, compressed that well, cut down the bag to size, and sewed it shut. About 2.5 feet thick by 3.5 feet square, it was a bit of a chore to move, but I was hoping it might put the brakes on the arrows launched from these Magnum Bows.

First up was the Rancher, and the bag had no problems stopping the arrows from the 165 lb bow. Nice! In fact, penetration was only about 6 inches at the 20 yard range! Didn't take much tweaking, and that bow was soon shooting bullseyes! You could literally see the confidence and enthusiasm build within the Shooter as the groups grew ever tighter! By the time he had finished at the starting distance, his tail was waggin' so hard his eyeballs were wiggling! Another Serious Convert to The Addiction!

Next up was my Partner with the bow I had tuned and used successfully for hunting last year. Took much less in the way of tweaking, and he too was putting them dead center every time! And... once again the new bag managed to stop the arrows from this 225 lb bow! Reflective of it's increased power, they buried deeper - averaging about 8-9 inches of penetration.
The look of pleasure and satisfaction on my Buddy's mug at his results was worth the price of admission alone!

Then, the new Matrix. Even with the REDDS system and cat whiskers on the custom string, it was a hint louder than the Exomax. Different type of sound though, I'd describe it as being more "Sharp" and of slightly less duration than the Max. I had worked a lot on the latter last year to dampen the sound down, and now will be looking for ways to do the same with the Matrix. It took a little more tinkering to bring the bow to dead center, which wasn't surprising as this was the first time it had been shot since assembly. But within 20 minutes or so, it too was exhibiting the Accuracy that Excalbur is famous for! And, almost to my surprise, the bag did indeed stop the arrows from this 260 pound bow well before the fletchings touched the target! They did dig deeper of course, averaging close to a foot of penetration.

We then moved successively back to 30, 40 and 50 yards. And at each station, with just a little tweaking, each of the bows soon were finding their marks! The lighter bow of course topped out at the 40 yard mark, and we didn't try to push it beyond that. Both the Exomax and the Matrix were shooting 2 inch or less groups at 30, and followed that right through to 50 with no further adjustments. The difference in speed between the two became obvious at the 50 yard mark. Even though Damn Fast, I could catch a glimpse of the arrow in flight from it. Not so for the Matrix, although arrow coloring and fading light may have contributed to that. The Matrix did though offer a noticeable decrease in flight time to target as we suspected it might.

Would have loved to move back to 60 and perhaps even beyond, but before we knew it, the evening sprung upon us, and as the light finally faded away, we collected up our equipment for the wander home.

Only managed a couple of pictures before the camera battery decided to pack it in (note to self - Check that damn battery BEFORE heading out!).

Here's what the Exomax did at 30 yards:

Exomax_30.jpg

And then at 50:

Exomax_50.jpg

There was a bit of a crosswind, so we'll have to check this one again before considering any adjustments. The Matrix shot good groups with the factory arrows, holding at around 2 inches at fifty yards, slightly larger groupings than the Exomax. But the Max had the advantage of launching Custom Big John arrows specifically tuned for this bow, and as always they Really Shined in the Accuracy department. Methinks the Matrix will most likely do the same, once the exact arrow type & weight and dressing has been determined. Right looking forward to testing towards that goal over the next little while!

All in all a VERY Pleasant way to spend an entire afternoon! The Boys and Their Toys all wandered off with Huge Grins, each noting they were Damn Happy with the results, and each enthusiastically planning for our next get-together! Soon now methinks! The ball has started rolling...

Cheers,
Nog

You are soooooo evil!

I guess then that my 150lb Barnett isnt even in the same ballpark. I dont dare fire at a deer more than 30yds away because of the lower velocity . The string snap will mess things up and perhaps result in a gut shot.... but I think a racoon in my plum tree just might be in trouble this year!!!

I guess then that my 150lb Barnett isnt even in the same ballpark. I dont dare fire at a deer more than 30yds away because of the lower velocity .

Actually had to adjust the speed ring on the Matrix to just over 380 feet per second to get it inline at the longer distances. BLISTERING FAST!!

Just packing the target bag over to my Partner's for dry storage, and realized I actually could see the print from the Matrix on the bull I was shooting at. This is a combination group from 40, then 50 yards:

Matrix_50.jpg

Not at all a Bad Beginning with factory arrows methinks...
icon_twisted.gif

Cheers,
Nog

I think firelight needs to get one of these for his bambi in the backyard. He did like your summer sausage recipe.....

Pretty impressive kit there Matt. Thanks for posting the test results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think firelight needs to get one of these for his bambi in the backyard. He did like your summer sausage recipe.....

Pretty impressive kit there Matt. Thanks for posting the test results.

Your reading my mind, sittin' on the porch, sippin' a tequila and lime, waiting for a 4 legged sausage to wander past.

By the time I decided to respond to Nog on his bow sale it was gone.

A buddy just gave me a sausage stuffer

how much do the arrows cost , just in case i miss that THING that was swimming after my fish?
AWESOME , I LOVE IT !!

Back