new to crabbing

• Thread starter Thread starter North Island
  • Start date Start date
N

North Island

Going to drop our first crab trap in the morning. One of those square ones. Got some chicken, cat food, crab bait, and a dead sole and some herring. Should I try it all? I have two bait containers, should I use them both? Mostly I'm wondering about the depth, we will be measuring out our line in the morning. Any hints anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Any of those baits should work. I just use salmon heads because they are free and I always have a few in the freezer.

Depth depends on where you are. Look for other traps and set a safe distance from them. Most important is use weighted line or put a weight part way down your line so that the slack is taken up and not lying on the water waiting for someones prop.

Have fun. Looks like another nice day.

Drop before tide change and keep the traps down throughout the tide change. If you haven't fished the area and know where they are, drop at least two traps, in the area of other traps, keeping one trap shallower than the other. I use salmon heads, tails, backbone from fillets and occasionally herring and chicken.

Prawn heads can be fantastic! Really oozes out lots of scent. Brings 'em runen from miles around.

Back