new open boat (16 Silver Streak) storage cover

James Brant

i've got a new to me, 16 Open Challenger. it's an amazing 'tinny' and very exciting. my first boat!

i'd like to store it under cover, which it didn't come with. i'm thinking of buying a heavy duty tarp and working with that to fit it to size. i'm wondering how people with open boats keep a tent effect or some peak so that water doesn't just accumulate and collapse the tarp? was thinking of a wooden horse or something just standing in the middle? any ideas welcome.

In boats with large snap down covers, you will commonly see a telescopic post in the middle with a snap fitting on the cover/post to hold it in place and give the 'tent' effect you are looking for.

Not sure where you are located, but if you want a high quality custom cover to match your boat, I would highly recommend Canvasea in Poco.

They take your boat and custom build the cover to suit whatever you want. Fits like a tailored suit. They built mine and it just fastens to the trailer with bungees, but they were more than happy to do all the snaps if I had wanted it that way.

Just be forewarned - the custom cover route isn't cheap. Budget $200ft. 16ft boat is going to be in the $3k range. Makes the generic $250 covers from Canadian Tire look very tempting (I had one of these for years until I upgraded to a centre console boat which wouldn't fit any of the generic covers)

Last edited:
My boat used to live in a barn but the last couple years it's been in my driveway with the Canadian Tire cover. It does the job but every spring (if I haven't used the boat) I have to do the yearly wasp nest kill/removal. I'm going to switch to a shelter instead of a tight fitting cover. Something to keep in mind if you aren't going to get much use out of your boat in the off season.

Back