New MPA, no fishing allowed.

First: No FN ever went there, so why are they involved whatsoever?

Second: If these truly are "No Fishing Zones" they just killed Canada's tune fleet off.

What a bunch of MORONS!

"The MPA is located approximately 150 kilometers off the west coast of Vancouver Island."

Their own map makes that a BS Statement for the North Island and southern QCI:

tht-map-carte-eng.jpg

is this about closure or control..?? minerals, oil, fish. pretty much any resource.

plain old liberal pandering.

Last edited:
If much, if not all of this area is so far off shore as to have never been traditional first nations territory, one has to ask, what are the Liberals doing? As I recall Canada west coast has been called the "Grave Yard of the Pacific" for the weather and current conditions that can occur at times and which have sunk ships and very large fishing boats. I don't think anyone with an instinct for survival would have ever wanted to go out that far in an open, man powered canoe. In closer in coastal waters, sure.

The Haida got Bowie sea mount. Said they fished it all the time. Only a small rock pile 180 km out west in the open ocean !

Last edited:
My understanding is bottom fishing ( trawling ) and deep sea mining are going to be off limits. Closing tuna fishing in the top 20 ft of water, when the bottom is 100's to 1000's of fathoms down is irrelevant and even DFO is likely to be smart enough to keep that open. And no, FN certainly didn't paddle their canoes at 6 knots, dragging around a a cedar bark jig, trying to catch Tuna 150 miles offshore.

My understanding is bottom fishing ( trawling ) and deep sea mining are going to be off limits. Closing tuna fishing in the top 20 ft of water, when the bottom is 100's to 1000's of fathoms down is irrelevant and even DFO is likely to be smart enough to keep that open. And no, FN certainly didn't paddle their canoes at 6 knots, dragging around a a cedar bark jig, trying to catch Tuna 150 miles offshore.
LOL, there is no requirement to go 6 knots to catch a tuna. That is only one way of many to catch them. LOL.

LOL, there is no requirement to go 6 knots to catch a tuna. That is only one way of many to catch them. LOL.
If you are trolling with jigs, it has been my experience, that anything much under 5 knots and your production tends to drop significantly. I have seen some of the big USA jig boats trolling at 10+ knots. Hard to hang on to them at that speed but those damn tuna like it quick.
Danny Haglan, who was considered to be the best commercial salmon troller on the west coast, had a saying I heard him tell many people when they were discussing how fast to troll, " when in doubt,speed up".

If you are trolling with jigs, it has been my experience, that anything much under 5 knots and your production tends to drop significantly. I have seen some of the big USA jig boats trolling at 10+ knots. Hard to hang on to them at that speed but those damn tuna like it quick.
Danny Haglan, who was considered to be the best commercial salmon troller on the west coast, had a saying I heard him tell many people when they were discussing how fast to troll, " when in doubt,speed up".
You said, FN certainly didn't paddle their canoes at 6 knots, dragging around a a cedar bark jig, trying to catch Tuna 150 miles offshore.

My response was to that.

You said, FN certainly didn't paddle their canoes at 6 knots, dragging around a a cedar bark jig, trying to catch Tuna 150 miles offshore.

My response was to that.
Well they certainly didn't paddle their canoes offshore and fish down at 6500ft. That's for damn sure. Who cares about 6knots.

Well they certainly didn't paddle their canoes offshore and fish down at 6500ft. That's for damn sure. Who cares about 6knots.
That isn't why the MPA is now there. This MPA has been in the works for some time. I warned about the implementation of MPAs over 20 years ago. MPA's are part of the UN Agenda 21, 2030, 2050. As are all the land protected areas. ENGO's, and the current government have partnered with First Nation's in a co-management regime that I spoke about over 20 plus years ago. No body cared then, in fact I was told on here that it would never happen.

This new MPA is really a paper park - good largely for a political sound bite where the area is added to the total Canadian MPA protection coverage to inflate that area coverage to whatever mystical & unscientific % 2D area number the UN & the drama teacher recommends. It's out very far - way to far to have any real impact on almost all Canadian fisheries and way too deep for bottom fisheries - including trawling.

Fuel costs are a real issue for all fisheries. So is where one can find a concentration of commercial fish.

The new MPA that will have an impact is the Northern Shelf Bioregion Marine Protected Area Network:

Back