New law in BC, does it apply to salt water or just fresh water?

serendipity

VICTORIA — British Columbia's chief veterinarian has issued an order making it illegal to transport boats or other watercraft without removing the drain plug to prevent the spread of whirling disease.
The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says the order takes effect on Friday and is also intended to keep invasive mussels out of B.C. waterways.

Boat operators are being required to clean, drain and dry all watercraft and remove all mud, sand and plants before leaving the shore.
Vessels will also have to dry out for at least 24 hours before entering new waters.
Whirling disease causes deformities in fish and has a high mortality rate but poses no health risk to people swimming in or drinking water that contains the parasite responsible for the condition.
The ministry says inspectors will be checking watercraft for compliance with the new orders.
The first case of whirling disease in B.C. was confirmed in Yoho National Park in December 2023 and all water bodies in the park have been closed until March next year.
There is no treatment to eradicate the disease.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 16, 2024

Whirling disease is a freshwater pathogen, so it won't apply to saltwater boats.
It certainly is but how do you prove what water source it was last in? Define "saltwater boat". Any boat on a trailer could very easily have been in either fresh or salt water and you would have a hard time proving it while they hand out a ticket. You aren't going to convince the inspector to taste your bulge water and you maybe just washed it down in your driveway so now it's fresh water in the bilge and you'll look guilty anyway.

How many people transport their boats with the drain plug in? I always pull mine to drain any water and to keep any water from collecting in the boat when on land.
I normally pull plug to drain while I wash down. Then it sits in the driveway until dry before rolling into carport. **Then plug goes back in so I don't forget. Right now my plug is stuck though. LOL. I tried to take it out last week and it may be cross threaded but I left in because I was heading to Renfrew and did not want to have to deal with an issue if I forced it out.

The law does say all boats being transported in the Provence of BC, so next time you drive up on a road check and your plug is in you could be subjected to a fine.

No one's ever going to enforce it. Law or not. The BC government is famous for passing legislation and not having resources to enforce.

Like every mine and industrial site in BC. Tons of laws broken daily by some of them and not enough people to do the enforcement. Many other ministries same.

I wouldn’t worry so much.

No one's ever going to enforce it. Law or not. The BC government is famous for passing legislation and not having resources to enforce.

Like every mine and industrial site in BC. Tons of laws broken daily by some of them and not enough people to do the enforcement. Many other ministries same.

I wouldn’t worry so much.
I don't know about that. Quite often there is a check on Highway 1 between Hope and Chilliwack and if you are pulling a boat, you must pull into the scale to have your boat inspected. They would be checking for sure.

Never ever seen a boat inspection check location on Vancouver Island. Mainland with freshwater lakes maybe different.

Last edited:
here's the kicker, several years ago I took my 14 foot aluminum boat out to the Arrowsmith lakes as part of a search party for a missing friend, my boat was inspected at the weigh station just before Hope, so after 10 days on Arrowsmith lake drove my truck and boat back to the island no checks anywhere.So what kind of nonsense is this government engaging in

I have been stopped at a check point on the road from Port Renfrew just before it connects at Honeymoon bay a few times, usually during a long weekend. They are stopping every vehicle that's towing a boat and checking for fish limits. Checking to see if your plug is in or not just one more thing they can fine you for. Easy money

Back