New gear suggestions

I bought two of the WCFT mooching rods. Jeff has a couple Titans in his shop for comparison and they feel really nice. Sold all my Titans when I bought these. Not sure if I'll ever fish again though. My wife sent me a link for a 2023 DE 18 with no kicker at that low low price of $80k and I almost puked. I told her I will never consider buying one of them ever again.

I bought two of the WCFT mooching rods. Jeff has a couple Titans in his shop for comparison and they feel really nice. Sold all my Titans when I bought these. Not sure if I'll ever fish again though. My wife sent me a link for a 2023 DE 18 with no kicker at that low low price of $80k and I almost puked. I told her I will never consider buying one of them ever again.
What happened w the Victoria survey?

What happened w the Victoria survey?
We couldn't come to an agreement on price. It was that Orca 24. It was pretty beat up so I offered accordingly. He wants to wait out other offers. At this point, I have no problem walking away from deals that don't work for me. At that price point there aren't many cash buyers these days. I've come to terms with not making the Sept 1st opening now, sadly.

Sorry for the derail Stizz.

Thanks bud
I’m thinking you’re right about the mr3. The boat has a shimano reel as a backup. I played at Trotac today and bought some black and gold trophy rods. Felt really nice and only about $150/pop
10’6” medium action but had good backbone still. It’s gonna be a blast to land a 40 pounder on.

Should’ve bought a bigger net…
Gaff is all you need

A good gaff and proper technique are critical to success.
Theoretical: 82 year old father stuffs up netting your first nice spring of the trip. Hook has tacked through the net in a couple of places making it impossible to separate fish and net or get fish into net.
As the feeling of horror starts travelling from your anus to your mouth, you tell your middle child to get the gaff.
Exchange rod for gaff and bring the whole shittery onto the deck.
Quickly drain your Lucky and bask in the awe of your family.

Maybe not just theoretical...

A good gaff and proper technique are critical to success.
Theoretical: 82 year old father stuffs up netting your first nice spring of the trip. Hook has tacked through the net in a couple of places making it impossible to separate fish and net or get fish into net.
As the feeling of horror starts travelling from your anus to your mouth, you tell your middle child to get the gaff.
Exchange rod for gaff and bring the whole shittery onto the deck.
Quickly drain your Lucky and bask in the awe of your family.

Maybe not just theoretical...
User name checks out 🤣

I've never gaffed a salmon. Have fished solo and netted them plenty, but can be a bit of an adventure, especially with some wind and chop. Are you guys talking striking gaffs or U shaped/hook? What is your solo gaff process?

Sorry for the derail @Stizzla stiz

I only have used the commercial style wood handled gaffs.
I employ one sweeping arc that strikes right behind the eye and continues to pull it into the boat with the same motion.
This can be done with one hand.
From what I have seen, the aluminum handled u gaffs need two hands to operate, since you have to pull them straight, parallel to the shaft, which is not strong enough to handle the forces from the one handed arc method.

View attachment 109625View attachment 109626View attachment 109627Got my third reel. Off marketplace A very clean Peetz! $60! @PEETZcanada
Threw it on an 8’ ugly stick tiger as I had one lying around and the colours on those rods are retro.
Gonna be fun on the middle rod.
Gonna be fun in any position on deck. Next thing you know you'll be running four positions - All PEETZ. Hard to beat the battle of Old School Cool 😎 🙂

I just got a beauty cane rod that I will refurbish and use. It's not a PEETZ, but it will be the oldest I can go so far. 🙂

Attachments

• 20240819_212453.jpg
    20240819_212453.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 36
Back