New gear suggestions

Stizzla

Crew Member
Anybody hear I bought a boat??

I am ready to get geared up again. I’m the past I rocked Technium MH with TMX 5 reels.

From what I’ve seen on here, the older blanks were much more bulletproof than the new ones. Same happened to trophy titan a few years ago.

So, what’s the new best feeling and most bulletproof rod under $200? The new “Technium” if you will.

I also see reels have been climbing in price. MR3’s used to be $650 new and now $829. I got trophy tyees new for $229 and they are $350 now and I got my last TMX 5’s on sale for $269 and now they are $420. Anyone seen any good deals on reels?

I have a like new gold mr3 ported that I would consider trading for 2 tmx 5’s in good condition.

Good net for solo fishing?

Please help with opinions on any or all of these topics

IMG_3430.jpeg

If you are into OG at all, you maybe quite shocked at how fun and reliable PEETZ Rods and Reels are. Almost 100 years in Coastal service. The oldest reel still fishing that I know of, comes in for service every season for a quick clean up. It is estimated to be almost 80 years old. It has run in their family for three generations. Passed down from father to son in their family tradition.

I think most of the oldest working PEETZ rods and reels have ended up in collections, on shelves, mantles and walls.

whether you purchase new or used they are reliable. There are no new rods at this time, lots of used can be found off and on.

There is a huge trend that started a number of years ago to make Old School Cool Again. Which it always has, in my books.

What ever gear you choose, do your own thing, get out there and just have fun. Enjoy what our coast has to offer.

Last edited:
If you are into OG at all, you maybe quite shocked at how fun and reliable PEETZ Rods and Reels are. Almost 100 years in Coastal service. The oldest reel still fishing that I know of, comes in for service every season for a quick clean up. It is estimated to be almost 80 years old. It has run in their family for three generations. Passed down from father to son in their family tradition.

I think most of the oldest working PEETZ rods and reels have ended up in collections, on shelves, mantles and walls.

whether you purchase new or used they are reliable. There are no new rods at this time, lots of used can be found off and on.

There is a huge trend that started a number of years ago to make Old School Cool Again. Which it always has, in my books.

What ever gear you choose, do your own thing, get out there and just have fun. Enjoy what our coast has to offer.
I’ve been considering peetz for sure…

Wouldn’t need to. I keep everything I own in mint condition forever.
Just to show that you don't need to buy new if you find a reasonably priced used reel. 🙂

For some folks it's all about the money, whether they spend as little as possible or as much as they can. PEETZ perspective is level and all about longevity and lasting numerous liftimes of fishing fun and reliability.

Like I mentioned though it doesn't matter what manufacturers you decide to go with, make the choice your own, love every second that you are gifted and enjoy what our coast has to offer you.

Despite the change, the consensus seems to be that Techniums are the benchmark. Warranty is usually pretty good with Shimano if you buy from your local tackle store if you have any problems. Okuma has a few models that seem to be popular, I'd probably look at the Salish or SXT series. Pretty sure my buddy runs the Salish and has been happy with it.

I'd also consider trying the WCFT mooching rods. I won one of their light jigging rods at a derby last year and set it up with a Daiwa Lexa 400 with 50 lb braid and 40 lb leader. I was super impressed this summer, caught lots of lingcod and a few salmon. Biggest ling on it was ~30 lbs and was hooked just behind the pectoral fin. Was a workout getting it to the boat, had the rod fully torqued over and it handled it no sweat.

I wasn't super impressed with the TMX5 when I had one. Lots of play and had the line jump off the spool and get wrapped behind a couple times. It was one of their earlier generations so hopefully they've improved. I'd buy once and cry once and get a matching Islander if I was in your shoes. Get a pair of Shimano GT4000s or Daiwa M-Ones for the backup/guest/kids rods and save the money there for now.

Congrats on the new boat!

Despite the change, the consensus seems to be that Techniums are the benchmark. Warranty is usually pretty good with Shimano if you buy from your local tackle store if you have any problems. Okuma has a few models that seem to be popular, I'd probably look at the Salish or SXT series. Pretty sure my buddy runs the Salish and has been happy with it.

I'd also consider trying the WCFT mooching rods. I won one of their light jigging rods at a derby last year and set it up with a Daiwa Lexa 400 with 50 lb braid and 40 lb leader. I was super impressed this summer, caught lots of lingcod and a few salmon. Biggest ling on it was ~30 lbs and was hooked just behind the pectoral fin. Was a workout getting it to the boat, had the rod fully torqued over and it handled it no sweat.

I wasn't super impressed with the TMX5 when I had one. Lots of play and had the line jump off the spool and get wrapped behind a couple times. It was one of their earlier generations so hopefully they've improved. I'd buy once and cry once and get a matching Islander if I was in your shoes. Get a pair of Shimano GT4000s or Daiwa M-Ones for the backup/guest/kids rods and save the money there for now.

Congrats on the new boat!
Thanks bud
I’m thinking you’re right about the mr3. The boat has a shimano reel as a backup. I played at Trotac today and bought some black and gold trophy rods. Felt really nice and only about $150/pop
10’6” medium action but had good backbone still. It’s gonna be a blast to land a 40 pounder on.

Should’ve bought a bigger net…

Good choice. I was going to also mention the Trophy. I held one today at the local shop and it felt good too, I haven’t heard anything negative for a while now.

I swapped the springs on a trophy reel for islander ones and it’s much better. Good choice for a lower price than an islander.

I bought the sealed drag version of the Reef mooching reel for my DiL because of the black cherry colour. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the smooth drag and lack of creep even at a relatively low drag setting. The only awkward thing is the drag control on the opposite side of the reel than the Islander and other reels I’m used to.

get your self a pair of the Amundson Moocher X mediums and new TMX-5 .....
there sorted....lol

Anybody hear I bought a boat??

I am ready to get geared up again. I’m the past I rocked Technium MH with TMX 5 reels.

From what I’ve seen on here, the older blanks were much more bulletproof than the new ones. Same happened to trophy titan a few years ago.

So, what’s the new best feeling and most bulletproof rod under $200? The new “Technium” if you will.

I also see reels have been climbing in price. MR3’s used to be $650 new and now $829. I got trophy tyees new for $229 and they are $350 now and I got my last TMX 5’s on sale for $269 and now they are $420. Anyone seen any good deals on reels?

I have a like new gold mr3 ported that I would consider trading for 2 tmx 5’s in good condition.

Good net for solo fishing?

Please help with opinions on any or all of these topics

View attachment 109216
Shimano just released a new technetium with double unlocking reel seat and the older blank ( or something similar)

Back