New fishing buddy! Any tips for boat dogs??

A-a-Ron

Got a new first mate. Started boat training today with a quick rip on the Pitt River, he seemed to do just fine

Anyone who brings their dog out with them got any tips? Only 1 of my 3 kids like the boat & fishing. I don’t wanna screw this one up

IMG_5287.jpeg

IMG_5286.jpeg

A lifw jacket when he
Got a new first mate. Started boat training today with a quick rip on the Pitt River, he seemed to do just fine

Anyone who brings their dog out with them got any tips? Only 1 of my 3 kids like the boat & fishing. I don’t wanna screw this one up

View attachment 106077

View attachment 106076
A life jacket for sure

Take water and treats-make sure he can get out of the sun, Let him be part of the excitement on a fish catch but be careful with him around a hooked fish. They can be great fishing buddies--but they never pay gas money!

Take him for a good run/play etc. before you get on the boat - it helps if they are tired not wired when they get there. And don't forget they can't pee over the side or in a bucket.

Bring a chew toy , be careful with treats and bones with meat etc sometimes the water makes there stomach upset..
ive only had 1 accident with my dog but i think she really had to go pee...I love taking her fishing with me just wished she got along better with the seals ...lol she really like to bark at them LOL
1715612274945.png

Mine both (lab & blue heeler) love the boat I guess they know it takes them to really cool dog places,the only issue I've had is when my lab hears the rpm come down he immediately thinks is time to jump overboard so if your hound is a swimmer it's something to look out for.

I don't have a dog to take fishing, but watching an acquaintance with a dog I saw that he got the dog excited when a fish was on. Dog was really excited when the fish was landed. I don't know if that's a great idea, with hooks and weights flying around, but the dog was involved and keyed right up.

Don't ever let the dog loose or unattended at the bow of the boat while underway even at trolling speeds. Our dog used to love to nap in the sun on the bow close to the windshield (within arms reach) and in a fraction-of-a-second in beautiful conditions she slipped off. I popped in neutral before she hit the water (lifejacket on, thankfully) but the forward momentum had her go under the boat and bounce off the leg of the motor. A broken leg and 30 stitches plus a race to a 24 hour vet made for a rough end of a trip. I beat myself up for a long, long time after that.

yes a happy dog is one going on a boat ride and not left behind , please but please kinda keep track how long since they went pee , they gotta go ! don't have them out for 8 - 10 hours every day they are subject to bladder problems and need a break , Enjoy the new mate .

Get a portable pee mat and teach them how to use it when they are young. Ours lets us know if he has to use it and then it’s a quick rinse over the side.

Get them started asap on the fake grass/pee pad. Earlier the better. Rub it on some of their pee so it smells like they should pee on it. We also found the “feel” of the floor has been important. We had painted aluminum and pee time was not likely. But now with a softer deck, ultra deck, she is happier to go on board, maybe try adding an old towel or something to soften the deck. It’s still not an every time event. Keep some super high reward treats, left over steak or salmon, so when they go onboard they get a big reward right away.

I’ve been fishing with dogs for several decades. For both long term boat-camping trips that last multiple weeks and for just plain day fishing, I would not think of bringing a dog out on the water without some kind of tender to get the dog back and forth to shore so he or she can do their business and get some exercise

Not sure what size boat you have but there are lots of ways to do this without breaking the bank and not turning it into a PITA to store and deploy the boat. I own 7 inflatables….I use them for both river and salt chuck. All are made of hypalon (now called Orca Pennel) because hypalon is the burliest material out there for being around oyster shells and docks with nails sticking out etc.

My two favorite inflatables for getting the dog back and forth to shore are the Avon Redcrest (9 feet, deflated = approx the size of a large sleeping bag) and the Avon R 2.8—-approx 9 feel long but with a hard transom that I attached fold-up wheels to—-great for getting it up the beach out of tidal action (and for carrying food and drinks for beach-party BBQ’s with the fam and the dog)

Last but not least, I purchased a 12V electric pump and attached a SCotty plug to it. I can have either of these two rafts inflated and deployed into the water in 10 minutes with that set-up.

First picture is the Avon R 2.80—-$200.00 on Craigslist

The second picture is the Avon Redcrest—-$ 300 on Craigslist

Both those inflatables are 40 years old +/-

Both those inflatables will be around long after you, me and everyone we know are dead.

IMG_0108.jpeg

IMG_20210704_180340.jpeg

Thanks for the tips all, first real dry run this weekend up Indian Arm, then off to the cabin the following weekend for the Galiano derby.

Great thread and something my wife and I have been wondering about recently. We just bought our first glass boat and were wondering about dogs nails and scratching gel coat. Any input on this?

Great thread and something my wife and I have been wondering about recently. We just bought our first glass boat and were wondering about dogs nails and scratching gel coat. Any input on this?
Well I guess I find out soon enough… but I wouldn’t think that would scratch up the gel coat. Nothing that wouldn’t easily buff out anyways. Gel coat is super hard and durable, usually needs to be a pretty hard hit with something and it more cracks/chips than scratches.

Here’s a tip when it comes to the dogs feet. Anytime my lab wants some cuddles, I always mess with his feet. Make it a normal thing for you to grab his paws. It makes cutting their nails so much easier. I did this with my lab as my last one wouldn’t let me touch her feet without having to pin her down. Anytime my dog needs his nails cut now, I just walk up to him, grab his feet and cut the nails with zero problems.

Back