New Advice on Rod Building.

• Thread starter Thread starter mthornton
  • Start date Start date
M

mthornton

I am building my first baitcasting rod. I am having a very difficult time finding the backbone of the rod (or splining the rod). Does anyone have any easy methods to find this? Also if that is found, do the eyes go on top with the backbone on the bottom or what. I have heard many ways to spline the rod but I cant seem to get it properly and I want to build the rod properly. Any info appreciated
Thanks in advance!:)

I've only built 3 rods, so I'm no expert. You know how if you don't get your chicken in the centre of the rotisserie and it stalls and then thumps over, well it's kind of like that.
While standing, gently press the tip against the carpet and twist the wider end until the section centres itself. Mark it with a white pencil, then do it a few more times to be sure. I've read it doesn't matter whether the guides go on top or underneath as long as they don't go on the side. Don't crank your thread for the guides too tight as this is where the rod could break when you hook the big one or snag up in a river.
I made a gizmo to attach the sections to my barby rotisserrie motor to spin them while the thread goop was curing. Every time you build a rod it gets easier and more professional looking. It's also satisfying to catch fish with something you built yourself, kind of like fly-tying in that way.

When I find the spine of the rod I take the tip section and put the ferrule end on a hard surface then put pressure in the center of the blank so that it is shaped like a banana then rotate it until you feel a "jump" or "kick". Mark this spot by putting some masking tape on the blank at the ferrule end so you have somthing to mark on with a pencil.(Do the same for the butt section and then align the spine marks in the final assembly). I like to align the guides on the backside of where I have marked the spine of the blank for a baitcasting rod.
I have really enjoyed building rods over the last few years and I find it to be a great off season hobby. Have fun and take your time!
RO

Thanks for all the advice. I do have one more question though. How do you find the spline on the thicker have of the rod seeing as it doesnt bend very easily at all? Just wondering.
Tight Lines

Do it the same way just flex it a little harder. The spine will show up on the lower half as well.
RO

There are lots of good websites to help guide you. If I can do it so can you. It isn't that tricky if you are patient and careful. Homemade jigs to support rod and rotisserie from barby didn't really cost anyting. Blank, quality guides, handle/grip, reel seat, threads and epoxy goop adds up. You can't really expect to save much money on a medium quality rod. To notice a big saving you have to build on a high quality blank which will be about half the price of a finished rod. The problem with that is your finished Sage rod won't look quite as good as a factory one until you have become more experienced.
I don't ice-fish so I have time for hobbies some winters. If I lived on the coast I would be fishing with store bought rods for winters or steelhead rather than building my own rods.

I have built a few rods and you can have just as good a look to your rod as a factory one if you take your time and have the proper turning device to get that smooth look to your guide wraps. Ensure that you have a nice taper to your wraps as well ie; longer guide wraps on the larger guides and getting shorter on the smaller guides towards the tip top. I started out with just a cardboard box with notches in it to hold the rod as I turned it to make the wraps with the thread running through a telephone book for tension. I built my own drying device using a windshield wiper motor with a speed contol (dimmer switch) on it. I have advanced since with better equipment but my rods turned out just great. You are only limited by your imagination and patience.
RO

Thanks for all the advice. I have found the backbone on both rods, but I dont know on which side is the softer side, I found where it centers itself, now I am just wondering if the eyes go on the top of this or underneath this. The rod I am building is a baitcasting rod. Thanks again
MAtt

There can be two places where you may find that it seems like the spine is. When you are testing for the spine make sure you get the one that wants to "jump" the hardest when you are rolling and flexing the blank. This is the spine. I like to align the guides with the opposite side of this mark for a baitcaster.

Back