New 9.9 Fourstroke

jeffywestcoast

2014 new model 9.9 four-stroke. which do you or would you purchase and why? I am really close to making a decision on a new 9.9 and would like to hear some opinions from the guides and sportsmen on SFBC .

I'd buy a Mercury...... Yamaha lost my vote after the problems I had with a local shop and a warranty. My friends that have Mercury's love them, start easy and really don't seem to have any issues.

Plus the corrosion on Yamaha's.... What's with it? Can't they just build something of quality it seems.

As for the other motors out there..... They don't compare :)

I have 2005 Mercury 8hp, So far it has been great! I checked out a few at the Seattle boat show, and I have say there is not much difference in Power head between all the brands, They all the look same. My only issue with my mercury is that the it won't lock in the tilted up position unless you put it gear which I find strange

Jeffy if your going to buy brand new wait till the EFIs come out. The first will be suzuki and the rest will follow but mercury all the way for small outboards. I have a 9.9 2008 Bigfoot love it not one issue since new. Although this yeah I have to change the impeller, plugs and thermostat but that's normal. I got about 1000 hours on it if not more. Just changed the oil and lube.
Cheers

You know i did get a a yamaha 8hp for stroke high thrust a few years ago...Its a great motor but I really wish I had reviewed them all before picking it....

Thanks for input everyone. Not waitin for an EFI , riggin my boat is more a priority :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol yeah that's the problem where like kids and need now now now. Chris on on here from inlet marine has great prices on motors not sure what it is over there but I'm heading over soon and if you stike a deal I could bring it for you no problem.

Cheers

In this case IMRINC you did offer the best deal but I am going to buy local so I can have dealer service available close to home, Thanks kindly for your offer, and I would recommend you to anyone in the lower-mainland needing a good deal on an outboard. But for servicing reasons and logistics I am going to buy here on the island and for=go the dreaded ferry ride.

I just checked it out. She's a beauty Jeff. Congrats man. Now get it mounted and get out there:).

Last edited by a moderator:
went for a putt around the harbour and departure bay today breaking in the new 9.9 023.jpg it is more then a enough kicker for my little 16.6 foot KNC, been fighting with the aux steering linkage for a couple days, gotta fig out how to make up about 5-6 inches in height diff to make my old steering arm work bought a bracket from RPM when I bought the 9.9 but it went above the grab handle, my buddy Murr and I built one yesterday that went below the grab handle, looked good onshore but once in the water I could only lower the kicker a couple notches or it was too low...used my extenda handle today well breaking her in but need to fig something different for steering from up front

Look at that shinny new motor...... Good work,

How long is the breakin on that motor. Thinking about selling my T8 and buying one.

Back