Need a little pricing help

• Thread starter Thread starter Tanglefoot
  • Start date Start date
T

Tanglefoot

My 1998 Evinrude 4 stroke, long-strong shaft was stolen recently and the Insurance company has decided to pay-out on the value of the motor today and not the replacement cost. Although the motor was a 98 model, I bought it 'out of the box' in 2001 for about $2800. Probably has 40 hours a year since or 240 hours max.

It was used as a kicker, maintained by a licensed mechanic and was a great engine. The insurance adjuster will hunt around for a current value but I would like to help him a bit by providing him with reasonable estimates obtained from the knowledgeable folk on this forum:D

Thanks, Tom

I doubt your adjuster will require OUR help.
HP rating would be nice info though.

oops 9.9hp.
Actually, the adjuster asked for pricing input. I'll try to get my mechanic to come up with an estimate. A similar replacement will cost $3600 and tax[xx(] but that won't be taken into account, just current value of he stolen engine. Tom

I think that very motor is for sale (used) at Payless Marine in Duncan. You may want to contact them for a price.

To my surprise I found that there is a 'book' similar to a used car book, that gives the current resale value of motors going back to 1994 models.

To my surprise I found that there is a 'book' similar to a used car book, that gives the current resale value of motors going back to 1994 models.

Urchin. What was the serial number of the motor that was stolen? Someone just offered me that same motor for sale.

I sent it via this forum, a PM, nite before last. Below is the serial number I have. I think it is correct but the adjuster has all my paper work so I haven't been able to confirm it.

Thanks Barbender, Tom

Ok thanks Tom. I will check on this and get back to you asap. Anything about the motor unique? What features did it have? Prop shroud, starter etc. Colour.

Hi Barbender. Thanks for doing this! The 98 model Evinrude was near-white in colour. Mine was a long shaft, electric start with a prop shroud. The wire from the motor to the battery was cut during the theft. I can't remember for sure but I may have engraved my name on it somewhere with one of those hand-held electric engravers. One of the most remarkable things about the motor was that it was in good physical shape. No big scratches anywhere and no dings on the skeg. All said, I think the serial number would be the positive ident.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Urchin. Ok checked it out. The serial number does not match and this unit is blue. Otherwise the unit is a exact copy. Long shaft, electric start, prop shroud etc. Glad I could help though. Regards.

Thanks a bunch for the effort Barbender! It would be great to catch some of these beggars wouldn't it! The adjuster working with me said he had a very large number of claims involving kickers. Because of this all of us pay higher premiums for our insurance.

Tom

Back