Nasty Surprise (bass-tards)

Went to a nearby lake the other evening looking for some trout despite the summer heat. I started with a big, brown leech and as I was wetting the fly a large fish smashed it on the surface. I knew right away it wasn't a trout, and from the weight I knew it was very, very big. After some very heavy pulling I landed a smallmouth bass I would estimate at 8 lbs. I pulled the disgusting creature aboard my float tube as I was fully aware of what must happen next. With an empty beer bottle, I proceeded to pummel the bass on the skull as hard as I could 10 or 12 times. Believing the fish to be dead, I attempted to stuff the slimy bulk into the cargo pocket of my tube as, in my confused state, I decided to take the giant fish home for pictures. It was at this point that the great fish flexed its dorsal spines and I heard the sound of my tube being punctured. In desperation, I unzipped the pocket and flung the fish into the lake, only to watch it surge back to the bottom with all the spunk of a wild steelhead. Hastily I paddled to shore to avoid an uncomfortable swim. Anyways, thought I would share this interesting experience with you, my apologies in advance to any conservation minded, non-bucket brigading bass fishermen.
BL

I don't think anyone would care you killed a bass or not I would just hope anyone who did would at least eat the thing

Bass can be wormy, especially those taken in warm waters, but then so can most fresh-water fish and a number of salt water species. Fillet the fish and hold the fillet up to a light to find the worms. They appear as yellow plugs in the flesh. Dig em out and you are good to cook! I don't think bass are native to many western BC lakes but I think some mis-guided goofs have transplanted them. Reminds me of the "Scotch Broom Goofs" who brought in that foreign and noxious weed.:(

Tom

Back