Nanaimo Area

Nice work Sculpin! looks like i should have launched at 4 like i wanted too..going out in the morning..Nice Slabs!

Thanks Jeff. Not really slabs but good eatin anyways lol. We managed 3 legal ones. Lost a nice one and a couple of others. Released probably 15 undersized. Pretty good action for this side IMO. I haven't fished this side very much since my younger days. We were all looking at each other going "are we off Nanaimo" LOL!

90'-130' using spoons. The kitchen sink (I have never fished this spoon before lol) was the star of the evening taking the most hits and fish. We started deeper then brought up the gear as the evening went on. Buddy at the dock was using cop cars and nasty boys. I just went with the depth and contours he gave me.

We fished close in and fished the structure. We saw lot's of bait balls and were marking fish on the sounder pretty consistently. There were probably 10 boats close in and there were a couple of packs of boats out in the deep water. It would be interesting to hear how those folks did out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
was pretty slow for me last weekend but i did manage one nice fish, 165' fishing 500'-700' foot contour, i have everyone of them spoons you mentioned, yellowtail in 4" was the ticket for my last fish ,but i will give that nastyboy n kitchen sink a go tomorrow for sure !, them spring white or red? , i have three on the lic so far all have been white.

was pretty slow for me last weekend but i did manage one nice fish, 165' fishing 500'-700' foot contour, i have everyone of them spoons you mentioned, yellowtail in 4" was the ticket for my last fish ,but i will give that nastyboy n kitchen sink a go tomorrow for sure !, them spring white or red? , i have three on the lic so far all have been white.

They were all reds. We caught them all in 180-200' of water. Their stomach's were empty too.

Going to be out fishing this area starting tomorrow. Will be in the Lucky Tiger and sit on CH 06 or 08
Will be in the Silva Bay marina.

88a is where a lot of chatter can be heard on ;). Good luck out there. Let us know how you make out.

my wife's at a conference, so I'm doing the single dad thing all weekend with my 2 and 4 year old boys...gonna bite the bullet and take them out tonight. Could be a bit of a show on my boat if we are lucky enough to get into a bunch of fish! :) Hopefully launching at 5:00

my wife's at a conference, so I'm doing the single dad thing all weekend with my 2 and 4 year old boys...gonna bite the bullet and take them out tonight. Could be a bit of a show on my boat if we are lucky enough to get into a bunch of fish! :) Hopefully launching at 5:00

See you out there. Last night we saw a couple of young kids doing the Macarena dance while dad was tending the lines. It was quite cute lol:D.

your kids get more fishing time than most grown men!!! ps.. saw ya at seabeam but was too busy. had to catch the tide into the new hide-out... next time i WILL stop and say hello and swap fishn reports.

Nicely done sculps. The inside has been great again. You've left me baffled as to why she sits on the trailer for the month of may. Maybe we will see more of the sculpin...your reports, with pictures in tow, are a pleasure to read. I may have to head over myself tomorrow.

Great evening out there off Neck Point. Bumped into a buddy that was coming in with limits for 4. Got the intel and ran with it lol. Worked out good. The fish cleaning station was going full tilt as well. All good signs.

The water was beautiful out there.

Looking North towards the Winchelsea's.

Mount Baker in full bloom.

Smiles all around.

Some fish in the boat.

Great evening out with friends with some good fishing. What's not to like :).

Till tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Sculpin

You mean that boat actually goes out in the water.......and goes fishing ???

You mean that boat actually goes out in the water.......and goes fishing ???

Yup. Two nights in a row even :p:D lol! I have to make up for lost time buddy.

It was a little choppy this evening to start.

Bart taking care of a few shakers. He landed an 8 lber later.

Degree of Freedom sneaking up on us in the background.

Dan and I playing camera tag lol.

I think Nanaimo has some of the nicest sunsets going.

Just about to pull the plug when the captain got to play one. It was a white and will be hitting the smoker on Sunday.

Another nice evening out on the water with friends. Life is good!

Cheers,
Sculpin

was tugging by Nanaimo, and listening in, to fish on...... dang......work interfears again..

have seen fish caught top of texada as we pass by..

Made it out last night with the boys. Fished mostly in front of Pipers/Neck after seeing Sculpin lurking in there. Non stop action with 20" springs. Managed to boat one about 12 and two hatchery coho. My oldest son landed his first completely solo salmon a small hatchery coho...I was busy with the largest spring and there was a fish on the other rod as well... Took it out of the holder for him and asked him to reel it in. Next thing I know he's got it flopping around on the floor of the boat :). All caught on TRex hootchie behind green-glow flasher.
This morning headed out at 4:45 with a buddy. Quite a bit of action with undersized and coho, although not as busy as last night. Boated one about 10 and had one other solid hit...other than that 20" springs. I noticed last night's fish were full of large herring, so tried a 6" army truck spoon and got the lone keeper.
Radio chatter was anything from no fish at all to quick limits...

Will post a couple photos later including one of Sculpin's ugly mug to prove he does actually put that boat in the water once in a while.

Made it out last night with the boys. Fished mostly in front of Pipers/Neck after seeing Sculpin lurking in there. Non stop action with 20" springs. Managed to boat one about 12 and two hatchery coho. My oldest son landed his first completely solo salmon a small hatchery coho...I was busy with the largest spring and there was a fish on the other rod as well... Took it out of the holder for him and asked him to reel it in. Next thing I know he's got it flopping around on the floor of the boat :). All caught on TRex hootchie behind green-glow flasher.
This morning headed out at 4:45 with a buddy. Quite a bit of action with undersized and coho, although not as busy as last night. Boated one about 10 and had one other solid hit...other than that 20" springs. I noticed last night's fish were full of large herring, so tried a 6" army truck spoon and got the lone keeper.

Radio chatter was anything from no fish at all to quick limits...

Will post a couple photos later including one of Sculpin's ugly mug to prove he does actually put that boat in the water once in a while.

What's a TRex hootchie? Is that just the make or is it an actual model?

Actually the original T-Rex does not look quite like the Green Splatterback.

PacNet still has the original T-Rex and they are still being made. Yozuri I think.....

There is another one that Harb. Chan sells these days....it is also called a T-Rex.....but looks nothing like the original.

Green Splatterback:- Fluorescent green top/Glow bottom...with dark blue or green "splatter" on top.

Original T-rex.......Fluo green on top/glow white belly....dark greyish line down back....black spots near tail.

Harb Chan T-rex:- Fluo Green mostly ....with gnarly aggressive blobs of black on it.....

Just got back from thrasher! Had a double header at about 8:00 off thrasher, got one in (15lb) second fish I screwed up with net and lost it, was the big brother must have been 20lb. Fish caught on kitchen sink and Irish cream at 130ft. Had a few small ones aswell. The crossing was pretty good but once we setup to troll the waves got pretty choppy not much fun. Picked up a few prawns and crabs for dinner!

Back