Mylar hootchie skirts

Bows Up

Bought a couple of rigged green-glo hootchies today and they come with a mylar skirt. I usually just take it off, you know, a guy thing. :)

Does anybody run these skirts ? It does bulk up the profile for some flash.

Fished around the hump off Bowen yesterday morning. Feisty undersized fish (1) was all we touched. Quiet on the radio but for one legal fish. Winter fishery was so good, slower times now ?

Hey Bows Up: I'm a strong believer in mylar skirts. I feel they lite it up down there, just an added atraction. eman

Don't know much about it but I read that you remove all but a couple of strands of this maylar and that is suposed to do the trick for the big springs. anybody done this?

I second the motion. My Budddy who fished Tahsis/Esperanza extensively pulled all but 3-4 strands off. I fished a lot with him and I can vouch for the number of big springs we caught with hoochies this way.

What about the colour. There is plain silver, pearl (very posh), red... I am going to give pearl a try next time out, but theres no way I am going down to 4. I dont know about 4. 5 is as low as I will go tomorrow, and probably not even that low. Hoping for no rain Sat.

I shoulda listened. I completely forgot to rip off part of her skirt this morning and I got skunked. Coal Port 10 till noon Sat May 20.

Well, I cut the skirt to an immodest 4 strands. Drowned that , bait and misc other gear to emerge with bupkis. Hole in the Wall and Sunset Beach.

Thought was to find a Squamish bound spring, we ended up with a tour of waterfront homes.

Beats working.

Glad so see that you stuck to a new idea and fished it to the end with confidence. Try it again on another outing and it will eventually work.

I've used the mylar skirts for years. Can't remember the last time I rigged a hootchie without one. The pearl one is my favorite. I've never cut off the strands on purpose as others have been suggested. I have always done well with the hootchies/mylar combination. However, I'm going to try taking off some strands and test it against a full skirt to see if it makes a difference one way or the other.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts. I learn something new every day.

Back