Moving to Kitimat/Terrace

smp747

Crew Member
I've just been offered a job that relocates me and my family to likely Kitimat or possibly Terrace. I've never been to either and I'm wondering what peoples opinions of it are?

I understand that it is a remote area, and a fairly small community and growing up in interior BC in a town of 1000 I'm totally okay with that. I know there is a lot of rainfall, but living in Nanaimo, I'd like to think I'm slightly used to that although from what I understand its much worst.

I already know what to expect from the river fishing but is there any opportunity to fish the beaches or the estuaries, or even kelp beds in the salt for coho's nearby?

So for anyone who has spent time up there, please take a moment to tell me any positives or negatives regarding the area. I need to build a case for my wife.

Thanks.

Guys fish the beach and the rocks from
The mouth of the Kitimat out to bish creek Buddy even got a halibut off the rocks last year.
Pretty tough to beat the fishing up here the area has so much more then any weekend warrior or avid fisherman will ever see in there lifetime the busy spots get busy lol but you can probably fish without seeing another person as long as you would like!
With all the money and projects up here does bring the big city big money problems as well theft is getting bad
Don’t overly love kitimat myself but terrace is a great place to live
If you like quiet the terrace bench is gorgeous some beautiful properties up there
If you like dirtbiking/ quadding Thornhill is the place for you lots of nice properties as well but a little more “redneck” and we’d be happy to have ya 🥳 the people of the town are very welcoming I’ve been here for 4-5 years now and you definitely get usto the 1-10 minute commute

I lived in Kitimat for 3 years. Great people, nice scenery, excellent fishing.
Being a coast person I found the winters long and snow filled.
Terrace has less snow and more shopping options and amenities.

I was surprised how many decent restaurants there were in Terrace-also as mentioned all kinds of fishing opportunities-again I was surprised at how few people bothered with fishing resident Rainbows in the shallows of the Skeena everyone just wanted Salmon.

I hope you like Bears........

I’m going to put 1,000 km on my truck getting to that part of the world next week just so I can be on a river chasing steelhead for my birthday—-

I think it’s God’s Country and would sell my soul to the Devil to be able to live there year round—-lucky you!

7D694A56-EFF7-4855-AA8C-EC006AADF74B.jpeg

627C835A-7E72-4933-96BE-0B5966C73E4D.jpeg

I have lived in both Thornhill ( Terrace) and Kitimat . Both are great for those who love fishing and access to hunting opportunities. BUT for a better, less isolated feeling my vote with better services for a family place would be Terrace. Personally I loved both locations...

I'm going to butt into this thread as we're looking at these same areas in the future for retirement. Hows the family doctor situation in Terrace? Is there a decent gym/fitness centre?

I'm going to butt into this thread as we're looking at these same areas in the future for retirement. Hows the family doctor situation in Terrace? Is there a decent gym/fitness centre?
Hard to get into a doctor (think that is everywhere) new hospital being built as we speak tho and there is quite a few options for gyms!

Ill be moving to terrace next fall after my last year of school and next summer guide season at Langara! My girlfriend is moving up this fall to be a nurse in Terrace and she has had a heck of a time finding a rental. If anyone wants to link up and fish next fall/spring, shoot me a message. Ill have a 12ft NRS raft and a solar 420 jet to hit some rivers! Fished up there every spring for the last few years when school has let me!

Congrats on the move, resource towns are quite diverse culturally. Lakelse in Terrace in the summer is Okanagan like for weather. You’ll love it. Ocean fishing out of Kitimat and Rupert is great.

Back