Miss clip?

I retained this fish as i was fishing in area 12 where you can keep one wild...so was not concerned either way. It also got creel surveyed at the doc and the girl said she has not seen a miss clip in a long time..it was a bit longer but she took a small clip of it off the end.

Also when we were talking to her she said a lot of 80cm ish chinook had been weighed in as in between 80-90cm lol.

When we were waiting at the doc while she was surveying the boat in front of us we were like to the guy in front of us "hey catch anything today" and he was like "got one". our response "oh that awesome what you get". he says nothing and stared at the creel survey lady and she was like " you got a chinook".

when we pulled up to the creel survey lady.. we were like that is pretty bad that they did not no what they had and she was like it happens way more then you would think.

I've had miss - clipped Chinook before that were over slot size.
question is, do you keep it and take your chances or throw it back ?

I have seen lots of mis-clips on caught salmon over the years. It is obvious that the fish was clipped but some residual Adipose tissue got missed. The double mis-clips are interesting. The person doing the clipping realizes they did not get a good clip on it and does it again from the other angle but still does not get it all and when it is healed it looks like there is a low pointed triangle remaining, rather than a large swept back rounded Adipose fin.

When I have volunteered to clip salmon at our local sport sector operated hatchery, we sometimes had children doing it, a good experience for them,but mis-clips may happen a little more often. In the USA they do not have this issue much as they use automated mobile machines to clip most of the hatchery salmon. Our Government won't fund that.

I would like to think that the DFO enforcement guys are capable of identifying a hatchery fish that has been clipped but still has some residual Adipose tissue remaining and give the angler a break. The ones I have seen are always obvious. Anyone ever had an enforcement officer make this an issue?

Last edited:
I have seen lots of mis-clips on caught salmon over the years. It is obvious that the fish was clipped but some residual Adipose tissue got missed. The double mis-clips are interesting. The person doing the clipping realizes they did not get a good clip on it and does it again from the other angle but still does not get it all and when it is healed it looks like there is a low pointed triangle remaining, rather than a large swept back rounded Adipose fin.

When I have volunteered to clip salmon at our local sport sector operated hatchery, we sometimes have children doing it, a good experience for them,but mis-clips may happen a little more often. In the USA they do not have this issue much as they use automated machines to clip most of the hatchery salmon. Our Government won't fund that.

I would like to think that the DFO enforcement guys are capable of identifying a hatchery fish that has been clipped but still has some residual Adipose tissue remaining and give the angler a break. The ones I have seen are always obvious. Anyone ever had an enforcement officer make this an issue?
I’ve been checked a few times by officers on fresh water systems when I’ve had mis clipped cohos and never have had any issues. They had a good look at the fish every time and they were good with it.

Had a similar but smaller size miss clip checked by a senior creel surveyor training a new creel surveyor, he was excited to show her and had no issues with it.

I know for a fact I have definitely miss clipped Chinooks at the hatchery.....some of those bugger are so small you can barely see the adipose. You also don't have much time as once those fish start to wake up the whole batch is damn near impossible to do so you do your best and get it done

I could be incorrect but I believe SVIAC's net pen project fish aren't clipped at all, but they do have a minimum requirement for tagging a certain percentage of fish......I think that is why they don't have to be clipped.

this obviously isn't a popular topic but I, as a family of SVIAC members would actually like to get a response from......any SVIAC executive care to comment?

I could be incorrect but I believe SVIAC's net pen project fish aren't clipped at all, but they do have a minimum requirement for tagging a certain percentage of fish......I think that is why they don't have to be clipped.

I suspect you are incorrect. Tagging fish is expensive and unless there is a screw up it seems to me all tagged fish should be clipped, otherwise there would be no way to know that a fish may have a tag in its head and anglers like me would throw it in a crab trap rather than put it in one of the head return depots where it could be found and removed for research.

I asked the scientist at goldstream hatchery while I was there for a fin clip and this is what he told me. I have been a member of SVIAC since its inception and pretty sure they don't clip a single fish. I totally may be incorrect rockfish but this is what the only paid guy at goldstream told me when I asked him.

Back